Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need tunnel diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayaoo

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need general tunnel diodes when designing a random oscillator.(Tunnel diode is one of some old components that are attracting new attentions). After some searching, I found most tunnel diodes are too old and were discontinued, such as 1N3716, 2BS4, 1N2927 and etc. I also failed to search some used ones on ebay. Does someone know any resources that I can buy from?

-Kayaoo

Last edited:

Ebay has listings for tunnel diodes although many sellers are in foreign countries. Are they off limits to you? Do you live in a region which makes it difficult to obtain this component?

Maybe you can locate a club of radio operators nearby who keep a stock of electronic equipment?

Who combine orders so they can do business with mail order suppliers domestic or everseas?

An enthusiast who sells spare components on his website?

kayaoo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If your oscillator is for low frequencies (< about 50MHz) consider using a JFET and bipolar transistor combination. You can make a two terminal negative resistance device that closely mimics a tunnel diode characteristic. Search for 'negative resistance' and it should find examples.

Brian.

BradtheRad,
Thanks for your suggestion.
Maybe many tunnel diodes are lying in a attic as they were once very popular. A club or maybe HAM is a good idea.
There are several tunnel diodes on eBay, expensive or rare parts,all not local.
--- Updated ---

If your oscillator is for low frequencies (< about 50MHz) consider using a JFET and bipolar transistor combination. You can make a two terminal negative resistance device that closely mimics a tunnel diode characteristic. Search for 'negative resistance' and it should find examples.

Brian.
Thanks. We do not ultilize its negative resistance properity only. We want to generate some chaos. I'm not sure if transistors work too. But it is worth a try.

Last edited:

kayaoo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back