Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to measure battery internal resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultor

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know how I can measure a battery's internal resistance while it's still connected to a circuit? I have a need to measure a lead-acid cell's internal resistance.

Anyone with some ideas?
Thanks
Robert

As far as I know, this is done on a per-cell basis (if individual cells have external connections) or for the entire battery.
In any case, a certain load is connected across the cell or battery and the voltage is measured. By measuring both the no-load voltage and the loaded voltage you can easily calculate the internal resistance of the battery

Rbatt=ΔV/I

where ΔV is the difference between the open-circuit voltage and the voltage under load and I is the actual current when the load is connected.

If the battery is in the circuit, you can measure the voltage difference for two different currents, for instance, but you need a way to change the load current and a way to measure accurately the change. Measuring the voltage change is not a problem, a voltmeter will do.

Ultor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
VVV said:
As far as I know, this is done on a per-cell basis (if individual cells have external connections) or for the entire battery.
In any case, a certain load is connected across the cell or battery and the voltage is measured. By measuring both the no-load voltage and the loaded voltage you can easily calculate the internal resistance of the battery

Rbatt=ΔV/I

where ΔV is the difference between the open-circuit voltage and the voltage under load and I is the actual current when the load is connected.

If the battery is in the circuit, you can measure the voltage difference for two different currents, for instance, but you need a way to change the load current and a way to measure accurately the change. Measuring the voltage change is not a problem, a voltmeter will do.

VVV, did you check these ? How much must the current be?

:p

xxtigerxx said:
VVV, did you check these ? How much must the current be?

:p

The more the better.
Let's be reasonable, we are not talking about 1000A :D

yes not 1000A.

but for a 12V/12Ah a current around 1A is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.