Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to emulate a potentiometer electronically

Status
Not open for further replies.

blapcb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
potentiometer emulation

I have a mechanical device that basically is tied to a potentiometer that gives out a reading according to the position of the device (say 0 to 200 ohms). This resistance drives an electronic (analog) meter. I would like to replace the mechanical device with an electronic one (for better precision) but still use the existing analog meter for display. So, I need to emulate the resistance. Any ideas?

Added after 7 minutes:

I would like to add that yes there are some very cool digital potentiometers ("digipots") such as those from Microgip or Analog, but they are in the Kohm range and I need one from 0 to 200 or so....

electronically simulate potentiometer

Hello!

I don't get the exact picture of what you want to do, but just in case,
you might be interested by these devices.

Edit : Oops, I gave you this response apparently before you added
the last sentence...

Dora.

blapcb said:
I have a mechanical device that basically is tied to a potentiometer that gives out a reading according to the position of the device (say 0 to 200 ohms). This resistance drives an electronic (analog) meter. I would like to replace the mechanical device with an electronic one (for better precision) but still use the existing analog meter for display. So, I need to emulate the resistance. Any ideas?

Added after 7 minutes:

I would like to add that yes there are some very cool digital potentiometers ("digipots") such as those from Microgip or Analog, but they are in the Kohm range and I need one from 0 to 200 or so....

I don't think, that you need a simulated potentiometer or resistor to drive the analog meter, because the primary input signal is most likely a voltage or current. I guess, it's a bigger problem to achieve similar resolution and accuracy with an electronic position sensor, unless you go for a high end digital position encoders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back