Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need structure and method of designing VCO output buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_islam

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
VCO output buffer

plz suggest a structures and method of design for VCO output buffer, im working on 1.8 v supply and 2.4 GHZ frequency

Re: VCO output buffer

Try an open drain buffer with 50Ohms of termination.

Rgds

how's the open drain implemented in CMOS ? I'm also interested in a buffer of a 900MHz vco, its output signal is sinusoidal and need square wave.

hrkhari said:
Try an open drain buffer with 50Ohms of termination.

Rgds

I think that 50Ohm is a very low load and it may be overestimated.

If u will drive a divider, u may use Source Follower stage, but it will consume higher power. U may read about it in Gray & Meyer

thanks,
what buffer topology you use in your 2.4GHz vco ? I'm using a differential ring vco and the output signal is low in amplitud and sinusoidal that's why I need a buffer.

VCO output buffer

souce follower buffer is good/or CML with resistor and inductor loading to boost BW

Do u have ideas about the CML output buffer "its topology, design issuses,......"
i will be greatfull if u send something related to this

eng_islam said:
Do u have ideas about the CML output buffer "its topology, design issuses,......"

Visit the web sites of establish companies like Texas, Maxim to find out the application notes on CML buffer and also through net resourses as well.

why don't anyone suggest the use of inverter as buffer?
It's frequency cannot meet requirement? e.g. 2.4GHz?

buffer stage is to convert the output signal from the
VCO core to a rail-to-rail switching signal . This can be achieved by the use of a two-stage buffer.An active current mirror makes the input stage, which serves both as a differential to single-ended converter and an amplifier. second stage the inverter is designed to make the output signal fully rail-to-rail switching.

How to reduce the output amplitude by buffer circuits?Thanks.

eng_islam said:
HI,
if you need some ideas about high speed CML output buffer, i suggest you to read some papers writen Payam Heydari, who has his own web page.
best.
jeff yan

hi,
For designing o/p buffer for VCO you can go for CML bufers.

Although for 2.4 GHz you can also use a differential pair.

thanks
sarfraz

VCO output buffer

Hi jfyan,
have you received my ebook?
why don't you sent to me your ebook?
haoyun
nettmann_2002(at)zahoo.de

Added after 10 seconds:

Hi jfyan,
have you received my ebook?
why don't you sent to me your ebook?