Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need some suggestions about programming with pickit 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all! i hope you can give me some advice! im using pickit 3, i connect it to the target (a 16f887) and i just program while the pic is completely hooked and working with other ic's and leds and its externally powered (by a variable source), in a manner i see the inmediate effect of my code modifications, am i doing it correctly?

i connect my pickit 3 in this way:

pin 1 to mclr
pin 2 to vdd (from an external source i dont use the pickit to source)
pin 3 to Vss (from external source...
pin 4 to dat (rb7)
pin 5 to clk (rb6)

Do not forget to connect the pin 6 = PGM!!! (RB3)!!!

Last edited:

pin 6 is not needed in the way im programming, i would like to know if programming directly to the microcontroller while it's working doesnt burn anything

GND = VSS must be common!!!

And make sure the values ​​of the voltages!!!

See ICSP docs!!!

Works fine for me!!!

Last edited:

GND = VSS must be common!!!

And make sure the values ​​of the voltages!!!

See ICSP docs!!!

Works fine for me!!!

yes, VDD and VSS from the pickit must be connected to the target circuit's V+ and GND (when the pickit 3 is not sourcing) am i right?

If you do not want to use a voltage source pickit3 even so, you must use the GND, the one who will not be connected is VDDor V+ !!!

Like this:

pin 1 to mclr / VPP
pin 2 to not connected
pin 3 to Vss and/or GND
pin 4 to data (rb7)
pin 5 to clock (rb6)

Anthony,
you need that Vss (pin3) common for both external supply and also for pickit3)as all signals of pickit3are w.r.t ground pin.

then there is a issue with too heavy capacitors (electrolytic) that wont allow the pic get ready before the pic tries to program it.

Thirdly, the pins Mclr , PGclk, PGdata if used for other needs
should be used with 1K series resistor

while the PICKIT3 would be connected directly.
please try these things

yes i know vss and gnd from pickit 3 must be connected, but also Vdd (from the pickit pin 2) with V+, otherwise it doesnt work, if i try what nagkiller says about not connecting the V+ from the external source with the Vdd pin from the pickit 3 it throw me an error, when the pickit 3 is not sourcing it needs not only the Vss but also the Vdd from the external source in order to work properly

Status
Not open for further replies.