Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need some help plz.. im new....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDD

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, first I want to say is that this forums looks nice and is visited by many smart folks... :)

Now... Im totally new to electronics... im good with computers... and I fiddle with electronics all the time.. but I want to build a simple thing.. and was wondering if someone could give me some guidence... :)

The Project: Keypad, when number pressed to be stored in non-voletile memory (in case battery dies..) with time (and date if possible...) and be able to get the information in regular text to computer from that memory at later time...

If someone could tell me what i need... I have keypad... but what else is needed and how to wire from each number to what.. and how to connect to computer to be able to read the memory.... any help GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks!!

You will need a Microcontroller
I use AVRs , PIC is another option

U will need to make a real time clock on ur Microcontroller if u want to hv a stand alone unit otherwise PC clock can be used.
As for memory and storage part AVR has got inbuilt memory and u can easily transfer data to PC for displaying using USART

As of now get hands on one and get going thru its datasheets.
www.avrfreaks.com is one good site for AVRs , don't hv much of idea regarding PICs

hrm... sounds complicated... i need to make it small.. like a small calculator... with only digits 0-9.... and whenever a number.... lets say '1234' is typed... then its sent to memory and recorded.... will that be possible with those parts? and how can it be done with those?

Hi
you can simply connect the input bus(carrying which button has been pressed) to input port of AVR from where No. can be decoded and stored in memory.No problems upto that,but the game is in storing the time at which value has been entered b/c for that u need to implement a 24*7 clock for which u will hv to keep ur device ON at all times.
A better option would be to get a separate crystal timer ( jst like what we hv in PC) and get the time each time an entry is made

where and what AVR do i buy? i cant seem to find it.. all I find is how to program them.. not the actual hardware... btw i can simple use old computer keypad right? (its a thin numpad with wires from each contact of where they key hits it...[hope this made sense..])...

Added after 1 hours 36 minutes:

https://www.keelog.com/diy.html

Heh... this is kind of thesame of what i want to do almost... cept i need time/date stamp... although i wont be making it as an adapter but connecting the buttons directly... and will need another power source... like a small battery to power it al... any ideas ? Also i want to retrieve data in plain text without using any software..,. like pretty much all HARDWARE keyloggers... ( https://www.keyghost.com/sx/retrieve-keylogger.htm )

thnx for the reply to all...

I decided to go simpler way... I will have a PS2 logger... so all I need to make is a custom matrix numeric keypad (only keys 0...9) with a connection to PS2 port... and it must act a real PC k/b... so I understand I will need a AMR? or what... what will be everything that I need.. and how to do it?

HDD said:
Hi, first I want to say is that this forums looks nice and is visited by many smart folks... :)

Now... Im totally new to electronics... im good with computers... and I fiddle with electronics all the time.. but I want to build a simple thing.. and was wondering if someone could give me some guidence... :)

The Project: Keypad, when number pressed to be stored in non-voletile memory (in case battery dies..) with time (and date if possible...) and be able to get the information in regular text to computer from that memory at later time...

If someone could tell me what i need... I have keypad... but what else is needed and how to wire from each number to what.. and how to connect to computer to be able to read the memory.... any help GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back