Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need some help in English term for a device

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiconductor

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
newbie need help

I'm living in non-speaking English country, and I'm studying on microcontroller (esp. 8051) but I don't know the english word describing about a device that execute this task: transfer the program that we have programmed (maybe in assembly or C) to the microcontroller unit.

Can you help me!

Thank you in advance!

The program that translates the low level assembly source code to machine code is called an assembler.
The program that translates the C source code or any other high level language like BASIC, Pascal, C++, C# and JAVA to machine code is called a compiler. In this case a C compiler.

The most popular C compiler for 8051 is KEIL: https://keil.com/

Another popular C compiler for 8051 and many other microcontrollers is IAR: www.IAR.com

Re: newbie need help

After reading your request, I got a little different request out of it.

Are you looking to program the actual hardware. If that is the case, could you detail the design a little. This is where things get specific (especially on the 8051, the are some many varients). Let us know which processor. There are plenty of programming products out there. Then again, you might not even need one.

robotman

can you be more specific on what you are asking for. what exacly do you need?

i have some basic introduction to 8051 its 147 pages in english ( word format ). if you want it let me know.

Read this very good FAQ:
What is the difference between an interpreter, assembler, and compiler? **broken link removed**

I guess he is talking about the physical device that can transfer complied program onto 8051 - a programmer.

Epegic said:
I guess he is talking about the physical device that can transfer complied program onto 8051 - a programmer.

Yeah, I refer to a physical device that transfer the programs we did onto 8051 uC Unit.

Is the word: programmer?

semiconductor said:
Is the word: programmer?
Yes the word is programmer.

A friend of mine told that, the word is DOWNLOADER. So what's the difference between these 2 words?

semiconductor said:
A friend of mine told that, the word is DOWNLOADER. So what's the difference between these 2 words?
It is usally called a device programmer.
I think a downloader is a device for In-System Programming also known as ISP.

With ISP you can program/upgrade flash MCUs while they are still in the PCB.
Just serch for ISP or In-System Programming and you will find a lot of info.

Search google with "8051 programmer" and you can get hundreds of commercial or DIY programmers details.

semiconductor
Sorry I did not chime in sooner. If you look at my first post, remember, I asked about your hardware configuration. Based on the design (which 8051, is there a socket for memory, is there an ISP interface, etc.) this will determine what you need to do.

If you can tell us a little about your design, we can help with recommendations.....

robotman

"Can I design and manufacture it on my own?"

It is difficult for a beginner to design and write driver for a programmer, but you can built one based on any scheme avialable on the web. There are lots of good design and often free, choose one that you think most suitable for you.

Yeah, I'm finding a 8051 device programmer over the internet! But I don't know which search engine is suitable for this task (google shows so many results and lots of them are unrelated)!

Could you tell us, which 8051 devices are you plannng to use. As I remember there are many cheap programmers like DL2TM that sopport the well known AT89S2051. However if you are planning to use non-Atmel controllers you will find difficoulties in finding a free programmer.

George

Search for "8051 webring" and start browsing. You can got lots of useful information.

Looks like an Atmel Number to me....

I don't know if it is descriptive enough. Is there some numbers at the end?

If I remember correctly, this part allows for ISP (In system programming). There should be lots of free programming adapter schematics and worst case, Atmel sells thei ISP cables for $39 US.

robotman

89Cxx is general name of CPU made by varous manufacturer.

AT89cxx are Atmel CPUs, programming in parallel mode.
AT89Sxx are also Atmel CPUs, can be progrmming in parallel or ISP. ISP use only 4~5 wires, you can make the download cable yourself, very simple indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.