Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need some guidance about antenna desig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pulkit Varshney

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
need some guidance about antenna design

hello, i want to check different antenna's (dipole, yagi, microstip patch, etc.) performance as a receiving element for a given power density.
But i am a newbie in the antenna design field. So can u tell me how should i approch this.
Which simulator should i use, I am a little familiar with ADS.

Last edited:

Hello Pulkit,

Part of the answer is given here: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/223156/#post950488.

When you want to understand and design antennas, you have to go a step further. The path can be (mostly copy and paste from another thread):

- knowing LCR circuits
- knowing basic field properties, material properties (E, H, B, D, potentials, etc) and their relation to lumped components.
- to have excellent understanding of transmission line theory.
- knowing how fields and radiation do originate from current segments and how the form the radiated power.
- knowing about constructive and destructive interference and radiation patterns.
- knowing behavior of structures no longer small w.r.t. wavelength (reflection, refraction, fresnel theory, image theory [in fact reflection]).
- knowing properties of existing antenna types to enable you to make a first selection.
- knowing how to use a suitable software package for your challenge.

The learning curve depends on your actual knowledge, the people around you (that can help you), available literature/books/other resources, and of course the effort you are able to put in it. You will meet some high mountains (sure), but they will turn into flat terrain.

You should be more specific about "reception". Are you looking at measuring the total received power from all directions or assuming that the signal is coming from only one direction?

i am looking at total received power from all directions.
But it will depend on the antenna'a effective area whether it will respond to received power from all directions or power coming from only one direction.

It is difficult to offer you an advice without knowing you exactly need. Specify the frequency, radiation pattern, directivity (gain), power handling, etc.

frequency around 900Mhz.
other things i have to vary to check which design is optimum

Thank you, you are really gratuitous in giving off information!
For a 900 MHz antenna there are really MANY possibilities. Depends on more specifications you keep secret.

Try "www.L-com.com" to see commercial offer of 900 MHz antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back