Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need project for battery reconditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

panalog9

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
battery reconditioner

Looking for a project/schematic/code for something to recondition older UPS batteries. Not just a charger, but something that can analyze the condition, and charge/discharge appropriately to recondition them.

Thanks

nicad reconditioner

take a look at the site www.buchmann.ca
they explain all the system

but if you find schematics, I'm interested !!!!

such conditionners costs around $3000 !!

lead-acid battery revitaliser

SAR,

these schematics are for measuring the capacitance and/or discharge the battery.
these are not for reconditionning...
reconditionning is more complicated.
discharging is the first step for reconditioning.

how to build a battery reconditioner schematic

The basic circuits and construction for a charger/discharger/conditioner aren't that complex I don't think. Just need a nice way to bleed off a battery to discharge it without producing too much heat :)

The tougher part is the analysis of the battery, and the conditioning process. I don't know what that "conditioning" process should be.

I've heard several methods, but which are real, and which are used for which battery types ?

1) Fast charge at high current. Say batt is 1000mAH, charge at 2A, or 3A. Must be careful, since if rate is exceeded too much, battery can outgas and explode.

Should watch battery temp carefully. At what temp would you reduce charge rate ?

2) Pulse charging. Alternate between high-current charge, and normal charge, say 4A for n seconds, then 1A for m seconds. What rates, and for how long ?

3) Reverse charging. This is where a reverse polarity charge is applied - for how long, and how much ? This helps break up the crystals that form and reduce capacity.

Does anyone know anything more, or have a good source for the techniques etc. that are required ?

Myself, I have a bunch of batteries that need help. From UPS sealed-lead-acid batteries to NiCd with bad memory effect.

-pana

schematics battery conditioner

pana,

I read that for recondionning a battery, you should charge it normally, then discharge at 1C (that is at 1A for a 1AH battery) until 1Volt
that's discharging the battery.
then you must discharge "at a very lower current" until you reach 0,4 volt or so. that's reconditioning the battery.
I dont know what "very lower" means: 0,1C or 0,01C ?? if anyone knows...

with this method, you may recover to almost full capacity 40% of dead nicd batteries, 30% of nimh, 5% of lead, and less than 1% li-ion.

ps: I dont know if this method is correct...

lead acid battery reconditioning schematics

Cool, thanks for the information. But that's the problem, no-one seems to know for sure what the processes should be. I did find out about Ramsey (www.ramseykits.com) who sell a LeadAcid charger, and a NiCd reconditioner, but not a general all-battery-type reconditioner/charger/discharger.

Does anyone know of a site with concrete information ?

building a battery discharger schematic

Hey ME, nice thing

it seems that this thing recondition the battery...

any idea of what program is inside the MCU ???

alc7000_km_g_020528.

hi,
if it takes an interest I have the scheme of a lead-acid battery revitaliser published on elektor 2001.
I can post it. :D

nicad battery reconditioner

ME -

That looks excellent, but I don't speak German :(

leemarrow -

Well, yes :) That's what this whole thread is about ... Please post it !

what you need for a battery project

Kripton2035 said:
Hey ME, nice thing

it seems that this thing recondition the battery...

any idea of what program is inside the MCU ???

Actually it contains two MCUs, one main MCU and one display controller, both with preprogrammed firmware. You can't get the source code for the MCUs.
You can order a complete kit including case and all other parts for 99,95 €.
I you don't want to build it yourself you can also order a fully assembled charger for 159,95 €.

pulse-charge battery charger + nicad battery

panalog9 said:
ME -

That looks excellent, but I don't speak German :(

leemarrow -

Well, yes :) That's what this whole thread is about ... Please post it !
here for you
:D

Reactions: Handy

Handy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
usb nicad reconditioner

Someone know about "pulse" charge methods? This method consists in a long charge pulse and then a short discharge pulse. This method seems charge better then others methods and avoid any memory effect to have 100% full capacity.
The problem is that I dnt't know the timings, currents ecc. and the effectiveness of the mothod... :(

Thx
Lollo

pulse charger atmel

lollobrigido said:
Someone know about "pulse" charge methods? This method consists in a long charge pulse and then a short discharge pulse. This method seems charge better then others methods and avoid any memory effect to have 100% full capacity.
The problem is that I dnt't know the timings, currents ecc. and the effectiveness of the mothod... :(

Thx
Lollo

Maybe this AVR based charger is usefull. Lot's of info about charging:

AVR450: Battery Charger for SLA, NiCd, NiMH and Li-ion Batteries
www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1659.pdf
Source code: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/AVR450.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.