Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need information regarding DC Pulsed supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishweshgm

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I came across this product --> pulsed DC system.

My design goal is to make a protoype for following specification
Input : 230V AC 50Hz
Output DC : Variable 250V to 1000V
Frequency output : variable 10kHz to 30kHz

Circuit probably might contain rectifier stage and then boost circuit and then switching circuit to produce the required output.
But I have no reference design to say which is the right method.
Also customer asked if features like " arc detection and quenching" can be provided. i have no idea what it is.
So if someone can help me understand what kind of system it is and where can I study more about it... would be helpful

Your pulsing on then off, so normal error amp designs wont work, as theyll be too slow getting up and down.......so just use say a constant off time controller, and pull its reference up and down......COT because no SHO. (sub harm osc)........tweak it right with a micro say....what current has to be drawn from the pulses?

Arc detection...thats just where you detect the constant current of the arc, i think, but wont the arc be extinguished in the pulse off intervals anyway?

what current has to be drawn from the pulses?
Current is between 1 & 1.5Amps (limited to 1kW)

Arc detection...thats just where you detect the constant current of the arc, i think, but wont the arc be extinguished in the pulse off intervals anyway?
Sorry, what do you mean by detecting constant current of arc? I think this type of Power supply system is used for sputtering materials to form film as shown below. How one must detect arc here?
1652434539819.png

Also customer asked if features like " arc detection and quenching" can be provided. i have no idea what it is.
hi! from the referenced power supply datasheet i can presume that the indicator of arc ignition is voltage change

1652454195919.png

vishweshgm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I would suggest finding an experienced power electronics consultant to get you started for this task - it is not for the newbie .....

...right....so its not possible to do this by having a big supply capacitor charged up to 250V, then switching a current source from it on and off at 10-30khz...?

....admitted the rise time has to be pretty quick.....so small inductor.....but yes....error amp no good as it wont get started so to speak.......just emperically ramp a reference up and up till the pulse current is what you want.

.....but thats easy for me to say never having done one.

I did do an SMPS that had to smash on and off .....at mains peak....and give a burst of light in a big LED...and it wasnt poss to use a normal error amp......you have to set the peak current threshold and use COT..and you got near enough what current you wanted like that......you could measure it and tweak it exactly right with a micro too.

vishweshgm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.