Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need info about PC serial communication data buffer size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganavel9783

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every1,

I'm just wondering, wat is the data buffer size for most PC's serial communicatiom.

when i tried to send a text file about 5 Kb using hyperterminal, i'm only receiving about 4Kb back to the PC for display.I even used other available GUIs like termV1.9 b and the same effect occurs.

So is data buffer size for most PC's serial comm is 4Kb?

regards,
ganavel9783

Re: Need info about PC serial communication data buffer size

On Windows

The Windows serial port buffer is limited in size to 10 Kbytes. This means that the buffer can overflow. When it is full and new characters are received, the new characters replace the oldest characters. The old characters are lost; therefore, it is essential that the buffer is read quickly when new characters are received.

https://www.4d.com/docs/CMU/CMU00172.HTM

Regards,
IanP

Re: Need info about PC serial communication data buffer size

Hi IanP,

Thanks for the info and link.

However does the same buffer size apply for using activX components like MSCOMM for building GUI using softwares like Visual C++ or Visual Basic ?? or is it set to 4K bytes as i've mention in my earlier post?

regards,
ganavel9783

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back