Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help With TouchPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRangelov

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys! I am very new to the field of electronics, and that is why this request may sound naive and silly, but please forgive me. I got this crazy idea in my head to build myself a touchpad handheld device, since I am only a student and cannot afford to buy an iPad :( However I am very enthusiastic about building such a device and I already read a large (but still insufficient) amount of literature regarding the question. I know that for this I need an LCD screen, a multitouch self-capacitance touchscreen and (by my presumption) a motherboard of some sort to do everything else. I am also looking into building the whole thing not very thick 1-2 cm, and maybe with a 15-17 inch diagonal. I was thinking of buying an old laptop and taking its motherboard and removing things I do not need from it. However I have no idea which one to chose and I have found a few on ebay, but once I buy one of them, I will need the corresponding processor for it, and RAM and most likely many other things. Another alternative for the problem is to make my own pcb like shown here **broken link removed** only thing is that I do not know the schematic for a motherboard that I will need. I also found this Identifying Electronic Components | uC Hobby which I think will help me understand a bit better how the whole thing works. Also, from what I have seen the motherboard used for the iPad is not that big at all, and it seems to me that it does not have such big computational power as a laptop, so this inclines me to think that it is a bit easier to build one from scratch than a laptop. My resources are limited, and I understand that there are many things I do not know about the matter, as well as the building will not happen overnight. If you could help me I would really be happy! Thanks for reading. And again, excuse my lack of knowledge in electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back