Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with RF Transmitters....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GateDHD

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Maybe some one “out there” can help me. If this post is not appropriate for this board, please let me know and, if possible, give me another board name.

I’m looking for help with low power radio transmitters/receivers. These transmitters are used to track (score) go carts during a race. Each cart has a transmitter mounted on it and there is an antenna loop buried in the race track. The transmitters emit a very low power signal (range somewhere around 12 inches or so) which is picked up by the loop, sent through an amplifier to a receiver and then to a serial port on a PC.

The problem is that the company that built the system has gone out of business. Several of the transmitters are defective (probably the crystals says the former company) and some have been damaged beyond repair and need to be replaced. Apparently these crystals are hard to find. An example of the frequency printed on the crystal is 40.280. I don’t know if that’s Khz, Mhz or hz. All of the transmitters use a freq very close to this one. Wonder why?

I’m looking for help with 1) Has anyone had any experience in this are 2) locating a source for the crystals, 3) some general help with how these transmitters/receivers work, 4)I would like to redesign the transmitters eliminating some troublesome parts such as a magnetic switch among other things (maybe different crystals (variable frequency?)). I have some basic training and knowledge of electronics (I know what a resistor and a capacitor is and what a transistor does (lol) but that has been several years ago) and the local track has agreed to let me try and repair the system. I have included a picture of the transmitter (notice the crystal) that might help. You can see that the basic design is very simple.

Again, please forgive me if this not the appropriate place for this post. Thank you very much in advance.
Tony

The frequency is in MHz. This is one of the unlicensed bands in some part of the world such as the US. The vibration of the motor vehicles probably damaged the crystals. International Crystal in the US sells crystals in small quantities. https://www.icmfg.com/crystals.html

the frequency is MHZ,y can use a fixture to fix it,and the crystal frequency is amplified by the amplifier,then transmit to the air through the antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back