Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with power mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

affi

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am making a power mosfet chopper circuit and i am having some problem. i am using pwm to control it.
i have control speed of a 1.1 kwatt motor with it. The circuit works fine when i apply 5 volts an the control signal but as soon as i apply pwm the mosfet gets burns. I am apply a pwm of 4 kHz. it has to chop voltage from 320 vots dc to 130 volts dc.
plz see the attachments
Untitled.png.

Dear affi
Hi
What do you mean by 5 volts , exactly ? is your mean that your GS voltage is 5 volts ???!!! if yes , why not ? my mean is why not your mosfet be burned ?! it is usual ! you should drive your mosfet with 15 volts , not 5 volts ! at the voltages below 12 or 15 volts , your mosfet will be at linear region and it means dissipative region , try to increase your command signal up to 15 volts .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

the N-channel MOSFET is driven by 12V derived from U1 which looks fine.....please provide a discharge path during turned off condition for the Cgs of the MOSFET by providing a Pull down resistor or any active control which might help.......

Easiest way would be use IR2121 mosfet driver. so you wont need much of mathematics for choosing components.

Status
Not open for further replies.