Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with my Verilog code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahaju

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am trying to write a Verilog code to interface computer VGA monitor with an FPGA Board but it is not behaving as I expected it to, and I have no idea why :oops:
Please help me
I have attached my code (vga_cont.v) and the test bench(tvga_cont.v) as well as a screen shot of the simulation waveforms from Model Sim
We can see in the figure that the signal H_sync (purple coloured one) goes from 0 to 1 at value 191 of signal cnt11, while I need the signal H_sync to go from 0 to 1 at 190. I think this is what should happen according to my code, but I don't know why it is not happening. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
:lol:

Attachments

• Project.zip
    863 bytes · Views: 88

The code is exactly doing what you have written. All synchronous assigmnents (e.g. register cnt11) are updated at the end of a clock cylce. So H_sync will be set at the same clock edge, when cnt11 advances to 191.
Code:
    cnt11 <= cnt11 + 1;
  end
else if(cnt11 >= 190 && cnt11 <= 1590)
  begin
    H_sync <= 1;
    cnt11 <= cnt11 + 1;
  end

Code:
always@(negedge reset_n or posedge clk)
begin
[B].
[/B]// *************** This is the section of code that is related to my problem ***************
		else if(cnt11 >= 0 && cnt11 <= 189) 			
		begin
			H_sync_cyc <= 1;
			H_sync <= 0;
			cnt11 <= cnt11 + 1;
		end

else if(cnt11 >= 190 && cnt11 <= 1590)
		begin
			H_sync <= 1;
			cnt11 <= cnt11 + 1;
		end
// ******************************************************************************************
	end

but since the always@ is working at the posedge of clk, I thought H_sync would change as soon as cnt11 == 190
How can I change this code to get H_sync to go from 0 to 1 at 190 then?
-- EDIT --
Also, does this have anything to do with the characteristics of the non blocking assignment opeartor "<=" ??

but since the always@ is working at the posedge of clk, I thought H_sync would change as soon as cnt11 == 190
The condition checks the value of cnt11, that has been set in the previous clock cycle. That's how synchronous logic works.
How can I change this code to get H_sync to go from 0 to 1 at 190
All comparing numbers have to be adjusted.

Reactions: mahaju

mahaju

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok Solved it
Thank you for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back