Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with Maxtor harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmax

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Have a MAxtor D740X-6L hardddisk which suddenly stopped.

- Seems that the motor is not rotating anymore.
- It is not recognized in the BIOS.
- It prevents then second drive on the same IDE channel to operate( will also not be found by the BIOS)

When power is switched on the LED on de drive will blink for a second.

Any idea's to get it alive for at least 1 time?
So I can transfer all my data.
Your help is appreciated.

You have to pray a lot and try to follow the suggestions of the article at this address :

**broken link removed**

Hope you will retrive the data; I know what it means !

Mandi

Put Your Harddisk in a well sealed polithine cover and keep it in your freezer for 3 or 4 hours, after that immiediatly connect and backup your data.

makri said:
Put Your Harddisk in a well sealed polithine cover and keep it in your freezer for 3 or 4 hours, after that immiediatly connect and backup your data.

search for 200 ways to revive your hard disk...under google...its very useful.

If the motor is not spinning anymore it seems there is nothing you about it.You can check if the wires connecting the interior of the hdd with the pcb are still intact

Is it alone on the bus? Is the bios configured to search ("auto") for a drive at that IDE bus address (master/slave)? Try to isolate it alone on the bus; the HD should at least be recognized.

I once started a stuck motor by smashing the drive (with power on) on the desk. It started spinning. This is a last resort of course.

Also you can try getting the same drive and swapping mainboards if it's the electronics that is faulty and you really really need some data from the broken drive.

Success!

Maybe your HDD's firmware gone bad,you need the tools named PC3000 which is from Russia to rewrite the firmware.The tools is very espensive and the data on disk will lose so you can look for a new same one and replace the main pcb.Good luck.
Su_36

Status
Not open for further replies.