Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with designing a tappered CML buffers

Status
Not open for further replies.

husseinadel

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
CML buffers

hello

i am designing a tappered CML buffers,,,,,, and i have a question ,,,,,i want to set the output common mode to a certain value so as the swing not from vdd to ,, vdd-I*R,,,but somewhat lower than vdd,so, how can i set it,,is that possible? or not????,,,,i think that as the switching of current completely from one branch to the other while swinging makes the output reach vdd.....so,,can anyone share me in thinking?????/ thanks

Re: CML buffers

husseinadel said:
hello

i am designing a tappered CML buffers,,,,,, and i have a question ,,,,,i want to set the output common mode to a certain value so as the swing not from vdd to ,, vdd-I*R,,,but somewhat lower than vdd,so, how can i set it,,is that possible? or not????,,,,i think that as the switching of current completely from one branch to the other while swinging makes the output reach vdd.....so,,can anyone share me in thinking?????/ thanks

Hi,
If i understand your question correctly, then yes, it is possible.
In an usual arrangement, the two load resistors are not connected to Vdd.
Instead, connect those two nodes together and then add an extra common mode resistor (Rcm) form that node to Vdd. Now the swing will start from Vdd - Itail*Rcm instead of from Vdd as there is a constant Itail*Rcm voltage drop across the common mode resistor.

I have attached a simple schematic to illustrate this.

Bharath

tsb_nph said:
husseinadel said:
hello

Hi,
If i understand your question correctly, then yes, it is possible.
In an usual arrangement, the two load resistors are not connected to Vdd.
Instead, connect those two nodes together and then add an extra common mode resistor (Rcm) form that node to Vdd. Now the swing will start from Vdd - Itail*Rcm instead of from Vdd as there is a constant Itail*Rcm voltage drop across the common mode resistor.

I have attached a simple schematic to illustrate this.

Bharath

thanks so much,, but i want this mainly so that the swing will not be clipped
but this may make the transistors enters triode,,,so,,,is the usual design of cml swings up to vdd,, or not?

What tsb_nph shows works, and you don't have to switch up to Vdd. You may have to reduce your voltage swing, then increase your width in order to eliminate the clipping but still maintain the gain of the buffer. Else, use source followers to precede the cml buffer in order to increase your headroom for the cml buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back