Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with Comparator problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayowazzup

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to put LM339 comparator into an non-inverting/inverting configuration ( having feedback loop)?

I was wondering in what situation I could use a comparator as an opamp and when I couldn't. and under what circumstances an opamp can be used as a comparator? I am trying to designing a opamp circuit that will have a few hundred kilohertz input signal feeding into it, but don't really understand the differences between them.

You cannot use a comparator as an opamp - it won't be stable. You can use an opamp as a comparator.

Keith

Hi
Of course you can put LM339 comparator into an non-inverting/inverting configuration ( having feedback loop) but it's not recommended. Comparators are not designed to work as linear amplifiers and you'll get a lot of distortions. OpAmps are not designed to work in saturation mode (differential voltage on inputs is non zero) but of course you can use them as comparators until you don't violate the input characteristcs.

opamp can be used as a comparator as per circuit diagram
i can't say about this particular ic but a comparator can definitely be used as a differential amplifier

You CANNOT use a comparator as an opamp. Comparator output stages are designed to be either high or low and not inbetween. The output stage has no defined linear region. It will be unstable i.e. it will oscillate.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.