Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with basic operating of Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Linux newbie help yelp

This is my 3rd day with Linux.
I have been banging my head against the wall trying to do 2 simple things that in w1nd0ws any 3 year old can do.

1. See SMB shares on network. The Linux box is correctly configured since I can browse the internet and I have set the IP, subnet etc properly. But how do I browse, copy, move the shares in GNOME or KDE file manager. I mean like in Network Neighbourhood.

2. I have downloaded acr0bat Reeder and untarred it. It now has a file named INSTALLED that shows it to be a Shell Script. How the hell do I run it. If I double click it, nothing happens. If I try to run it from Bash prompt, it say, it says INSTALL not found. I can see the INSTALL file in green color when I do the "ls" directory. I have tried it as a root user and normal user.

I know I must be doing some stupid mistake. But what?

Re: Linux newbie help yelp

2. I have downloaded acr0bat Reeder and untarred it. It now has a file named INSTALLED that shows it to be a Shell Script. How the hell do I run it. If I double click it, nothing happens. If I try to run it from Bash prompt, it say, it says INSTALL not found. I can see the INSTALL file in green color when I do the "ls" directory. I have tried it as a root user and normal user.

Use ./ before file name. For security reasons there are no current directory in PATH variable of root. That is made to avoid possible fake/exploit file to be executed by root.

Imagine that some user has created file ls and posted it in some directory, if root will have ./ in his PATH he will run that fake ls file and will execute exploit.

Re: Linux newbie help yelp

hi, in konqueror you should see on the left hand side a little icon that is circular (like a minature world),, actually you should see a few icons,, hover your mouse over them to actually see which one says network,, once you have clicked that then there should be a subdirectory that says windows network,, or something like that, then presto,, also about your other problem,, well you can't double click on a file called install and expect it to execute.. what you have to do is go to the "command prompt"
type in su to become root,
then type in "sh installfile" and that should install it for you. (where installfile is the name of the installation file which you have extracted)

Status
Not open for further replies.