Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with a voltage doubler for a School project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo Cor

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
6v voltage doubler

I have an older electronics book from RadioShack that I bought around 2 years ago. I have some schematics in it for a voltage doubler, but i rectifies incoming AC into double the incoming voltage DC. But, for teh application I'm using it for, I need to increase 6 vDC to 12 vDC. If anyone knows how to modify the doubler to accept DC input, or knows, has, or can tell me where to find a DC to Ac inverter so i can change the DC into AC then input it into the doubler, please let me know via EMAIL at ferretofdarkness@GMAIL.com

I have loaded the schematics of the doubler on the web. A copy of it is available here: Schematics

acdc school projects

Hi

Either you use a stepup DC/DC converter that will give 12VDC out with different in voltage. If you have constant 6VDC as input it is easier, I would recommend a chip from Maxim. I do not know what current you need, either use parametric search at their site or give more info.
Convert from AC-DC is wrong way to go I think, you already have DC. No use in waisting energy...

If you do not get help PM me and I try to help you. There are other manufacturers than Maxim but I like them so...

I moved topic to hobby project.

Cl

project on voltage doubler

Hi,

The schamatics that you have posted are correct. I used them before and they work fine. Yes, you do need AC in the input. I used it from an MCU, so i didnt have a problem.
To convert DC to AC, the easy way is to use a NAND gate. See the attached picture. The NAND will convert the logic level every time the Cap will charge/Discharge, so the frequancey will depand on the resistor and the Cap.
To turn the thing on, use your output to the Vdd if the NAND part. The output connect to one of your drawings.

Good luck.

6vdc voltage doubler

I am working on a challenge for a club called TSA, or Technology Student Association. My competiotion is called Technology Challenge and you have to demonstrate basic principles of Fluid dynamics adn applications of fluid and air power, basic electronnics, and mechanical engineering. One of the applications I am planning to use will demonstrate both pneumatics adn electronics at the same time.
I am using a DC compressor and a pneumatic ram to move the billiard ball that is required by the regulations. But the compressor requires 12vDC to function effectively, and the only power source allowed by the regulations is a 6v dry cell battery. I planned on using a voltage doubler to increase the voltage to 12 volts to run the ram. If you have any idea how to do this, please let me know and point me to any sche,matics that might be helpful. I also have limited monetary resources so try to keep things lowcost if at all possible.

Any and all help is deeply appriciated.

P.S. I am slightly novice at electronics and only know basic properties.
Leo Cor
ferretofdarkness@GMAIl.com

voltage doubler examples

How much rating current for your ram? According to the schematic provided, you need to consider the rating current for you ram. The relation between the current, voltage ripple and the pulse is as follows: I=C[dV/dt]

Where I is the current, C is the capacitance, dV is the voltage ripple and dt is the period of your switching pulse. Enjoy.

6v voltage doubler schematic

Hi,

Ok, after reading your project it give me a better view of what you will need.
For the compressor, you will need much more energy and a DC to DC converter for the amount of current will cost alot, and the bettery will run out very fast.
You will have to change your strategy by:
1. Find a compressor that works on 6V.
2. Build a pump that works on 6V
3. Use a 6V water pump for the arm.
4. Maybe use a converted air pump of a fish tank that can work on 6V. ( maybe you want get enough air presure from that).
5. Use a long ( you can buy them as long as you need ) screw that is connected to an 6V motor with some gears ( to make it stronger ). The nut will act as the axstansion of the arm. So when the motor will turn, the nut will want to move forward or backwords ( depanding on the turn ) and that will make the arm extend or retract.

Good luck.

Leo Cor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
convert 6vdc to 12vdc

very simple circuit.transformer is toroidal core

Dear friend ,
You must look to followig site :
h**t://www.epanorama.net
And after you check it to "power supplys"
Sincerely.....

Status
Not open for further replies.