Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Need help understanding a step in VHDL code for Shift Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

navienavnav

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The following is the code given for a shift register in my textbook :

Code:
ENTITY shiftreg IS
   GENERIC (n: INTEGER := 4); -- # of stages
   PORT (d, clk, rst: IN STD_LOGIC;
      q: OUT STD_LOGIC);
 END shiftreg;

ARCHITECTURE behavior OF shiftreg IS
  SIGNAL internal: STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (n-1 DOWNTO 0);
   BEGIN
    PROCESS (clk, rst)
      BEGIN
        IF (rst='1') THEN
           internal <= (OTHERS => '0');
        ELSIF (clk'EVENT AND clk='1') THEN
           internal <= d & internal(internal'LEFT DOWNTO 1);
        END IF;
     END PROCESS;
   q <= internal(0);
 END behavior;

I can't understand the statement :
internal <= (OTHERS => '0');

What is this statement doing exactly? I have seen the use of the '=>' operator in CASE but I don't what and how it is doing here.

Please help. :sad:

It's a specific syntax used in bit vector and array aggregates. Because no elements besides OTHERS are assigned, the expression simply means: set all elements to '0'.

the statement is basically internal=x"0000" which means internal equals zero.
Edit: internal="0000"

Thanks you.

And what about this one :

internal <= d & internal(internal'LEFT DOWNTO 1);

It is pushing the bit stored in d into internal but i don't understand the rest of it, that is internal(internal'LEFT DOWNTO 1)...what is this doing (syntactically) ?

left is maximum bit number of internal so i think d means 1-bit data .The statement push first order bit to zero order bit and secondly change most significant bit with d in ever cycle.

internal<="0000" is correct but only valid for n=4. It should work for n value of n.

internal'LEFT is an attribute expression and gives 3 (n-1) in this case. So you can rewrite the assignment for n=4 as
Code:
internal <= d & internal(3 DOWNTO 1);
Already clear? Otherwise read about the meaning of the concatenation operator "&".

internal<="0000" is correct but only valid for n=4. It should work for n value of n.

internal'LEFT is an attribute expression and gives 3 (n-1) in this case. So you can rewrite the assignment for n=4 as
Code:
internal <= d & internal(3 DOWNTO 1);
Already clear? Otherwise read about the meaning of the concatenation operator "&".

Yes, I got it now! Thank you so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back