Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help?the balun transformation ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

swild

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
attachment.php

I want to know the transformation ratio of this input balun,if the input impedance is 50Ohm,so I want to know the out impedance through this balun?

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 247

I think these are 1:1 balun so output impedance and input impedance is same..50Ohm..

Hi Swild
if the TL characteristic impedance is 50, the ratio is 1:1.

Rgds

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

I think this is relevant, what is the ratio if the TL impedance Z0 is 25 Ohms? I see a lot of situations of this kind in my everyday work, and the length of TL is normally 1/8 wave length.

Reactions: sofiar

sofiar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks!
If the impedance is 25ohm.the ratio is 4:1! and the balanced port have a 6.25ohm (one port),is it true?

Reactions: sofiar

sofiar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If the impedance is 25ohm.the ratio is 4:1!
As the schematic clarifies, the TL impedance is 50 ohm.

Apart from this point, it's unclear however, because it doesn't tell about the TL geometry. The coupling of both lines definitely matters, there may be possibly a core not shown in the schematic. From the schematic allone, it can't be determined, if the structure is operating as a resonant (λ/4 or whatever) transmission line transformer or a wideband balun.

Hi All

to Swild: Thanks, if the length is λ/4, your answer is right, what I really want to know is the wide-band case, which often shows itself as a λ/8 cable (at mid-band)

to FvM: if TL impedance is 50, than the length is irrelevant, the ratio will always be 1:1. As to the coupling effect you mentioned, I think the other cable is used here only to balance the (supposed) balanced port of transformer, and there is no signal at that cable, so in the first order, no coupling will be detected.

Best Regards
Julian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back