Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on LNA design using microstrip for 12GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlix

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, i am new to LNA design. I am doing a 12GHz LNA for my final year undergraduate project. i am using ATF-36077 HEMT(avago) and Er=10.2 microstrip(rogers 3010) for my design.My design objectives are nf<1dB and gain=10dB or more. I have done the schematic and simulation using ADS2005A. i got nf of around 1dB but gain only 6dB. I don't know wat is the problem? I am also not sure of the biasing required for the design? i used λ/4 microstrip line(both sides of the transistor) as the rf choke but i am not sure it is done the right way?

i have attached the datasheet for atf-36077 and schematic before optimization in ads.
i hope u guys can help me out with the problem. thanks

The Device should meet your requirements with no problem.
Did you draw the noise circles and match the I/P and O/P ports?

See Pozar (Chapter 11 in the 2nd Edition)

You have no negative bias on the gate. The gate needs to be ~0.2 V negative referenced to the source. In your schematic, the gate and source are DC shorted together.
I put a blocking capacitor between TL2 and the gate. I then injected a MINUS 0.2 VDC onto the gate thorugh an ideal 1 nH inductor. Gain went from 5 to 10.5 dB. You will have to optimize the DC value and doit in a practical way but that will get you started.

thanks toonafishy. I tried what u advised and the gain improved like u said. My problem is :
1) I dont know how to optimize the dc biasing for the design and the gate negative biasing that u told to add

2) I dont know how to convert the decoupling capacitors and the ideal inductor in the design into microstrip parameters

3) i m also not sure if the 9V DC with series 750ohm biasing is suitable? i juz calculated it using the datasheet values and a random resistor value

Search at:

www.avagotech.com

There are two app notes for a ATF-36077 2 and 5 GHz amplifier (old Agilent app note numbers 1129 and 1133). You can see the bias methods commonly used. You will need to scale them to 12 GHz.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.