Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on audio analogvolume control circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan76

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to learn about audio analgo volume control circuit design,but I cannot find useful stuff till now. Coudld any one help me? Thanks in advance!

regards,
jordan76

I think you can find many projects and tatouriala regarding this subject .Cay yoo specify more for the info. you need ?

What do you want to know?

things to bare in mind:
- It is usual to use a Logarithmic law pot control in audio
- You need to know impedance of subsequence stage fed from the pot
as too high a pot value can cause premature HF role off (treble loss)
- NEVER allow dc curent flow in pot (gets very noisy) only signal should flow.
- Best place to place control is a tradeoff between 'outputend' noise and frontend stage peak signal handling level in relation to input signal level.
- Use good quality pot for audio- ALPS pots are good for Hi-Fi
-
hope this helps a bit. Checkout Langford Smith ( Radiotron's Designers Handbook old but excellent)

If you want voltage control check out the National Semiconductor data sheet for the LM13700 OTA chip. It has basic templates for voltage controlled amplifiers.

Many thanks,guys.

I must admit that I almost know nothing about audio analog volume control.
However, let me try to make it more specific.
Basically it is used for TV systems. For this application, I assume that the noise and THD should be very low; dynamic range should be very high; gain should be tunable.

Actually I want to know the usual specifications, architectures and design challenges etc.

regards,
jordan76

Status
Not open for further replies.