Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help measuring delay in a circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cga1974

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Okay, I'm a total newb and have a general idea how to accomplish my need, but I'm by no means an expert. I need some help figuring out how to accomplish this task.

I manage a drag strip race track. In case you aren't familiar with the sport, the factors determining the results of the race are not based on the fastest car. Essentially, so that a slower car can be raced against a faster car, dial-in times determine how much of a head start one car gets over the other. So, running as close to your dial-in time without going under, and having a good reaction to the tree (starting device) is what determines a race.

Because of the way a full sportsman tree works racers have invented ways to time their cars electronically. Some of these are legal in certain classes while illegal in other classes. The idea is that their electric solinoid launch controls can have a timing delay built in to help cut a better reaction time.

What I need, is a device to measure the time between releasing the switch, and when the transbrake solinoid is released to determine if there are illegal delays being used.

My thought is that if I had a timer, accurate to .0000 sec with one connection for starting the timer, and another for stopping it would be quite easy. From the single button switch a direct wire could be run to the timer's start while another wire could be run from the transbrake solinoid to the timers stop.

You press the button one time, the timer would display the difference in time the current took via the direct route versus using the cars circuit.

Can anyone help me accomplish this?

Thang you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back