Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help in designing V2I converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

findsriharsha

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I need to design a V2I converter. Spec is +/-50mV => +/- 1.25uA.

Please suggest a good architecture for this.. I have +5V and -3V supply.

Thanks in advance.

What about a 40kΩ resistor? ;-)

Ok, perhaps some more devices:

Consider if input is -50mV, then the FB voltage tries to be -50mV which is across the R. BJT will turn off then, isnt it? corret me if I am wrong.. Thanks

Yes, you're right, sorry. To get around you could use the following circuit, even saving the transistor:

Its disadvantage, however, is the small complying voltage ("headroom") which is equal to the input voltage. This means the current measurement circuit must have a very low input impedance, i.e. « 40kΩ (< 400Ω for 1% error) -- which also could be achieved by using only the resistor.

This isn't really helpful, I know. We have to look for more complex circuits.

We have to look for more complex circuits.

I think the easiest way is to amplify the original input voltage and then generate the required current via an appropriate resistor to GND. With your neg. supply voltage of -3V you should be able to amplify the +/-50mV to +/-2.5V , then create the current via a 2MΩ resistor. I'd suggest to buffer the +/-2.5V output by another opAmp:

Final note: this issue has been solved. I implemented a diff pair with source degeneration resistor to achieve the required transconductance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back