Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help in designing 10Mhz CMOS Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitotsu

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cmos 10mhz oszillator

The Oscillator requirement:
C < 100ρF
R < 100MΩ
no crystal
no inductor

10mhz oscillator cmos

No Inductor -> Use a ring Osc
No Crystal -> The use of a PLL is not allowed

R and C limitations: Increase the number of stages instead of increasing the delay of stage so much

Good luck

Thanks alot.

Can you guide me on how I should go about designing a ring oscillator

How many stage oscillator should i design to provide 10Mhz?
How the capacitor values affect my oscillator freq?

Thank you once again

The ring oscillator looks good..

but how would one determine its maximum frequency? Are we to look at the propagation delay of the 'not' gate and hence, calculate how many odd stages are required to produce the desired frequency?

A odd series of Inverters which design using CMOS may help. Please use big size of transistor and many transistors in series.

regards,
Kumar

Hitotsu,

in this case I would use a simple ring oscillator as it has already been suggested. Put down odd number of inverters and with the variation of their vdd voltage the output frequency will change as well. This vdd is obviously not vdd!, which is the common positive rail.

So: odd number of inverters + change of their power supply -> frequency changes.

Good luck,
Krivan

Status
Not open for further replies.