Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying this component

Status
Not open for further replies.

obener

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Does anyone know what component this may be and the values for it please?

IMG_0411.JPG

It's fusable resistor as previously said value

Wirewound type resistor. In case of excessive current flow through it means it will burn and open the circuit (fused).

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I agree with FvM, it isn't designed to be fusable although in an overload condition it might be designed to "die gracefully".

Fusible versions of this kind of resistor do exist but they have a special construction, one of the wires passes straight through the ceramic body (to secure it mechanically) then loops back to the original end of the resistor through a spring wire. The spring is held in place with a solder joint, the idea is that if the resistor body gets too hot, the solder melts and the spring releases to make the component open circuit. It can be reset by solderuing the spring back in place,

This one is a plain ordinary power resistor though.

Brian.

hi all,

thanks for the help everyone. The resistor is used in a printer interface circuit but I am just worried the resistor is gone. I know it is not easy to destroy a resistor as easily as a capacitor but when the circuit is on, the resistor does get quite hot and at the sides of the resistor where the wires come out, i can see brown calcification and a bit on top of it. The circuit does turn off time to time and I am just wondering if the resistor could be causing it to?

thanks

Hello Brian and all together,

one picture says more than thousand words :-D:-D:-D

Sicherungswiderstände.jpg

Regards

Rainer

the resistor does get quite hot and at the sides of the resistor where the wires come out, i can see brown calcification and a bit on top of it. The circuit does turn off time to time and I am just wondering if the resistor could be causing it to?
When the resistor gets hot, it't still working. At rated power, surface temperature will be quite large (e.g. 150°C) and the resistor possibly looks a bit "burned". You should be able to measure the resistance when the device is switched-off.

Resistor overload may be caused by circuit failure, but then it's unlikely the resistor causing it.

yes, I am correct. it's fusible resistor...
see this PDF if you have doubt....

**broken link removed**

Hello mailus,

the resistor in the picture looks like a normal, cheap Japanese or Chinese produced high power resistor. I don't believe, that it is a fusible resistor.

The resistors you show, will going open in case of overload. Then they are dead. They will not sometimes function and the not.

The attached picture shows a normal high power resistor.

Zementwiderstand.jpg

Regards

Rainer

Last edited:

The resistors you show, will going open in case of overload. Then they are dead. They will not sometimes function and the not.

that only i mentioned in #6 reply.... there are may be several types.This type is called ceramic encased cement resistor. To avoid fire or spark these types are used.

so does that mean that resistor could be gone?

yes it will open under over current...

so does that mean that resistor could be gone?
As long as it gets hot, it's most likely O.K. There's a certain risk of a temporary open circuit.

guys remember your reflex action to heat

same is wih resistors when over current flows they become open as a response of over heating of the material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back