Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help for smart traffic light system project

Status
Not open for further replies.

adelaghwani

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody
can u plz help me in my project i have a graduation project on how to
control a traffic light by changing the red & green light with the traffic
jam.
If u could plz reply me as soon as possible
I have to use microcontroller pic16f877a
& I didnt decide yet what kind of sensor i have to use is IR sensor good?
please help me & thanx alot

You can use a camera but it's complicated or use a sensor that goes under the street and will work based on magnetism to detect the presence of a car (similar to metal detectors).

daviddlc said:
You can use a camera but it's complicated or use a sensor that goes under the street and will work based on magnetism to detect the presence of a car (similar to metal detectors).
Thanx for replying
Do u have idea about using IR sensor how to interface it with pic16f877a & even that sensor that goes under the street is it work with the same pic can u explain in more detail cuz i didnt find with detail ?
I'm sorry cuz I ask alot

Hi,
For car and motor/bi-cycle detection are in Switzerland practically all trafic lamps with a coil-cable (induction loop) controlled. You can see the forms in asphalt overall. :)
Otherwise; you can see such detecting coils in south of Germany relative often too...
K.

Detection,classification of vehicles_ www.roadtraffic-technology.com
Traffic Detector Handbook,349pp_www.fhwa.dot.gov/tfhrc/safety/pubs/Ip90002/IP90002.pdf

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello
I have to work with pic microcontroller 16f877a so I decided to use IR sensor so if u know how to do this project with those components help me in hardware & software.
Thanx

Hi, for IR sensors: check by roadtraffic.com--ASIM - Traffic Detectors...
Btw, the inductions loop sensors are in the Handbook, pps30..250 good described :)
Here a interesting solution:

how about using cheap lasers.. which can be used as beam interupters.. lasers pointing towards sealed sensors and when any vehicle is comes in between it will interrupt the beam..

Light scanning is surly a good idea, but by relative simple interrupter will be from some cats & dogs or peoples interrupted too...
Otherwise: with IR sensing from overseeing positions (but not only) is moisture, rain & snow very interesting!
K.
Characteristics of vehicle detector at signalized intersections _://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F6644%2F17743%2F00821134.pdf%3Farnumber%3D821134&authDecision=-203

So, I dont have more info...

we have to put at some height so cats and dogs will be by passes.. and 2-3 lasers and some distance together can give complex output whether its long width thing like bike or car as people will interrupt only one laser at a time

Dont forget pls, that in a (complexer) crossings it leads to very high Nr of sensors, all of them needs signal handling, organizing & 100% sure functionality in HW & SW...

Added after 1 hours 16 minutes:

I found some others too... Siemens AG - Wireless traffic detection with Sitraffic Wimag from , www.siemens.com_press_en_pressrelease...imo201001009.htm
Software Uses In-Road Detectors To Alleviate Traffic Jams, www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/02/030226073009.htm
IR250 series, Overhead Traffic Sensors: www.geneq.com/catalog/en/pidtda

Thank u alot
I am sorry for the late but I was sick

:) welcome, good recovery!
We have influenza times too...
Did you decided what kind of sensing will selected?
Is it a school project or some subject to realise pls?
For your uController it must be abs. equal what is your sensor in physical world_in my opinion, but I didnt uP developments...
You can have a digital out/input for a sensor, than its a "presence" sensor, than you can have some solution with analog output_means you can (maybe) say; is it so speedy or so big/long etc...
For your real traffic control program/algorithm it has relative nothing as influence, its however a periferial thing.
K.

lasers are good solution, and can work, but you will have to incorporate some sanity checks to identify vehicular traffic and pedestrian traffic.

You could have two lasers instead of one...
The mcu could check the time it takes for an obstruction to move between the two lasers. Also the lasers and their sensors can be aligned opposite each other.

Hi arbj,
can you do some small scretch/drowing pls?
K.

karesz said:
:)
Hi
I am a school graduate student. My supervisor want me to do the project in simple way, I mean he want me to do it in the lab by hardware & software & the project must be done in board or small box.
So I already started with IR but I dont know its directly interfacing with microcontroller ? [/img]

Hali,
I sended it on 25 II. , but do repeat IR250 series, Overhead Traffic Sensors: www.geneq.com/catalog/en/pidtda
Overhead IR sensors are in these style to realize, over the most German Autobahnen (highways) can you meet that, and in some other neighbor countries too...
I dont no ho its in detail realized, but I believe that it has a Fresnel lens in the front and the rest is relative simple, you can, mybe, verify the SW principes with a usual household IR-movings detector.
You must have a lot of amplifying after the discrete IR diodeIt will be too complex for some school work (sorry), is better to select some "digital" IR sensor...
Digital means; it delivers for you a signal with Logic levels :)_ rest is SW...
K.

My basic idea is that if you can count the number of vehicles that pass through a given point or a zone then a comparison of this value with maximum number of vehicles that can be accommodated in this zone will determine the traffic density.

Here is a basic sketch of what I think can be done. But there are some problems here, since the sensors are at road level they are subject to extreme temperatures, so some method of cooling must be used.

Another plan is to beam the light horizontally, but the lasers could be at the eye level of a pedestrian, and can be be a health hazard. The lasers could also be mounted at the pavement level (kerb level), but for the system to work efficiently the control unit would need to implement some rules...for example: for a valid vehicle detection the minimum speed must be set.

hope this was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.