Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help for given circuit how to calculate aspect ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

damonsalv

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Illustration 2.jpg

Given C1 = 200fF , C2=1pF, R=100k, Rin = 50, Power > 200uW, Gain > 15bd
Calculte (W/L)1 and (W/L)2

As you didn't state your process, operating voltage, Vb and operating frequency, I used my own parameters:
90nm process, VDD=1.8V , Vb=0.9V . With C2/C1 = 5 you can't achieve a Gain > 15dB , so I had to reduce C1 to 120fF .

So a gain of about 15 dB can be achieved between 40 .. 100MHz at a power consumption < 200µW, s. the following PDF:

Attachments

• RF_gain_15dB.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for reply and for the answer :)

- - - Updated - - -

Vtn = 0.3 V, Vtp = 0.38 V, Kn = 730μA/V2, Kp = 91μA/V2,
Power < 200uW, Mid-band Gain > 15dB, R =100K,
CLoad= 100fF, C2=1pF , C1=200fF. The voltage source (Vin) has an intrinsic impedance of 50 Ω.
1. Calculate the aspect ratio of both M1 and M2., such that DC output voltage is midrail
± 10 % .
how to find Vb in such conditions?

I think it will be an iterative process, as you don't know Vb in the beginning.

Start by equalizing the currents through both transistors, and use the strong inversion equation (which will not be valid for M2, as it will show up). Use Vb=0.9V as a first approximation, so you can calculate the aspect ratio:

(Wp/Lp) / (Wn/Ln) = kn/kp * (VGSn - Vtn)2 / (VGSp - Vtp)2 = 10.68 ≈ 10

Then calculate the current IDn through M1 and use this result to calculate Vb = VDD - VGSp :

IDn = 1/2 * kn/n * (Wn/Ln) * (VGSn - Vtn)2 = 94µA ≈ 100µA

For the substrate factor I used n=1.4 . Then: IDp = IDn

(VGSp - Vtp)2 = 2n/kp * (Lp/Wp) * IDp
(VGSp - Vtp) = 0.5374V
VGSp = 0.5374 + Vtp ≈ 0.16V --> sub-threshold = weak inversion operation

Vb = VDD - VGSp = 1.64V

An analysis for M1 with minW/minL shows a necessary Vb=1.63V , I=150µA and a gain=15dB @ 40MHz.
RF_gain_15dB_40MHz.png C1 had to be reduced to less than 100fF.

one more thing, how to calculate the total noise current at the output , if its dependence
on bias and aspect ratio of both transistors.

one more thing, how to calculate the total noise current at the output , if its dependence on bias and aspect ratio of both transistors.

No experience here. I'd (also) have to study the textbooks, and that's just not my preference now ;-), sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back