Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need guaranteed CPU Time (TBB boost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephazz

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey hey,

my current project is to write software with VisualC++ 2008 for a QuadCore PC running WinXP. I know that it's a bad choice but I have literally no experience with Linux. I only have 4 month time left and I have to deliver some sort of GUI. So Linux is not an option.

My software receives a constant data stream of about 20 MB/s via USB. If I don't grab the data fast enough the source has to stop producing data, which is bad obv. Another aim is to not only receive data in realtime but also to evaluate and display it in realtime.

So my current plan is to use one core for USB receiving and the three others for data evaluation. GUI handling and for Windows. After some research on the net I tend to use the TBB or boost.org library. Unfortunatly I can't find functions in them to guarantee CPU time or to bind a CPU completly to a task. The USB task doesn't need much speed since it only grabs data and stores it away. But it DOES need a high rate of availability. Ideally I'd like to have real interrupt behavior.

How can I guarantee CPU time to my USB task, or can I even bind a CPU to exclusivly work on this task? Is TBB usable for it or can you recommend other tech?

irrespective of what your task is ,
there is no guaranteed time for any process in winxp.

expecting the cpu to read before the endoftime is not guaranteed.

in situation like these a dedicated addon card for the particular application will guarantee to recieve the data.
the card should be intelligent and not just dumb cards.

the card should place the data in memory as it is received so that cpu can read the data when its turn comesup and process it.

srizbf
19thmay2010

Can you give me a word to search cards like this on google?

[edit]
none the less I don't believe that it's impossible to guarantuee CPU time on Windows machine at least in some borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back