Not open for further replies.

buckaroo

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I am measuring a fractional-N PLL based frequency synthsizer these days, and I encounter a tough spur problem as below:

the synthesizer is used in a wireless SoC for RF applications, it is found that there are two -20dBc spur (located@+/-700kHz offset) at the synthesizer output, it is quite large;
when the SAR ADC(Successive Approximation Register ADC) is OFF, the 2 tones disappears, or when the SDM(Sigma Delta Modulator) is OFF, the 2 tones disappears too; the SAR ADC clock is divided down from VCO frequency(which is to say the spur is not due to the intermodulation between harmonic of ADC clock and VCO);
the SAR ADC share the same supply with synthesizer(with RC filtering on each supply side) except VCO, the SDM is in the digital baseband side;
the location of the 2 tone depends on the fractional divide ratio, the smaller fractional ratio, the nearer offset is;
no matter how I increase the XO harmonic power(by heavily increasing the buffer size of XO buffer), the spur doesn't change;
it is not fractional spur;(99% percent)
it is not because of magnetic coupling;(because we have both LC VCO and ring VCO version, both have the 2 spur)

anyone can give me some clue? thanks very much!

Best Regards
Buckaroo

Last edited:

Hmmm ... just two spurs +- 700 kHz ... visual indication from the spectrum analyzer (?) would indicate an AM-type Modulation (amplitude modulation) of the signal, as opposed to FM modulation (think: Bessel Functions and multiple carriers) .. so I would conclude in a first-order analysis that the 'coupling' or 'method of ingress' or effect of the unwanted signal is via the Vdd (or Vcc) power supply line, maybe to a buffer stage? If the signal generation is digital in nature, there would seem to be am amplitude function being applied at some point, unintentionally.

I'm not 100% clear on what kind of synthesizer you are working with (PLL or DDS) or what SAR (successive approximation register?) and SDM mean, so my above first-order analysis may not bear much weight.

In any event, as a check, can you look down at the milliVolt level with a short ground lead scope probe (ground right at the scope probe tip) at the ripple on the DC supply lines under your two test conditions?

Jim

Last edited:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.
If the coupling is from the power supply(on-chip LDO), it seems hard to generate -20dBc tones(-20dBc is large), accurately I have measured the power supply frequency spectrum from the spectrum analyzer, I can only see large spur @high order harmonics of SAR ADC clock(=divided down from VCO frequency fvco) and VCO frequency, the spur @fvco+/-700kHz cannot be seen;(the vco frequency fvco is about 1.6GHz, I directly pulled out the power supply from on-chip LDO and connected to spectrum analyzer after ac coupling.)
it is a PLL-based frequency synthesizer, SDM means the Sigma Delta Modulator to control the divider to get a fractional divide ratio; SAR ADC is Successive Approximation Register ADC, which use fvco/N as its clock in my case;
any suggestions? thanks

Rds
buckaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…