Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need current mirror circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

udhay_cit

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Is there any simple circuit (current mirror) to convert current sink to current source.

Thanks in advance.

Udhay

Hi

You can use a PNP version of the classic current mirror with two transistor and a resistor.

udhay_cit

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Could you explain a bit more in detail what you have and what you need to turn it into, please?

Above suggestion is good. Greater stability perhaps with op amp + reference voltage + transistor + feedback resistor as another option but perhaps not simplicity/size required.

udhay_cit

Hi,

Is there any simple circuit (current mirror) to convert current sink to current source.
Isn't this what every standard current mirror does?

Klaus

udhay_cit

1593816473854.png
and : -
1593816498911.png
and:-

1593816520683.png

Thanks for all your suggestions. Sorry I have not given full details earlier.

I have an instrument which is giving a 4-20mA current sink, where I have to connect to another instrument which will accept current source. I can't modify either of the device internal circuitry. So I have to insert a circuit in between these two instruments.

I have tried earlier as per tyassin suggestion, but it gives 0.3mA added current output. May be I have to try with a matched pair of transistor or will try with MOSFET instead of BJT. I can happily accept If you have any other suggestions.

Udhay

Hi,

Sorry I have not given full details earlier.
You neither did now.
* voltage range of the source
* voltage range of the load
* (or available power supply voltage)
* load resistance (range)
* expected precision (you complained about it, so it's urgent to give at least a clue of what you expect)

Klaus

I'm simulating Easy's second schematic (post #5). Classic current mirror.. Various transistor gains. Various emitter (topmost) resistors.

Notice at bottom-left is a resistor where you substitute your detector which sinks current.

The current mirror sources current to the load at bottom-right, where you substitute your receiving instrument.

By adjusting the emitter resistor values you can get the right side pretty much equal to the left. To a certain degree it makes up for transistor mismatch.

If you worry about 0.3 mA error (1.5 % of full scale current), you should consider an OP based current source.

You don't want to use MOSFETs in a current-mirror as the Vgs mismatch between two devices is much higher than BJTs.

Use a matched pair of BJT transistor for the current mirror.
The normal Vbe mismatch between two discrete transistors can cause the current offset you noted.
Also, you might use a 3-transistor Wilson current mirror (below) which is much less sensitive to the output voltage.
(Change all the transistors to PNP for your purposes).

1594735536918.png

Easy peasy

Status
Not open for further replies.