Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need compression method on MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

leilarazavi2000

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I need simple code or algorithm to compression method on MCU

Guess we have 20 KB data on ram . and I want to compress it to smaller size of data . ( like zip)

How can I do?

I need fastest method ( please !)

Give more details about your project
What kind of data do you want to compress (text, sound, images)? And do you want to be able to compress & decompress the data in the microcontroller or only to decompress it (the compression to be done in a PC)?
The choice of the optimal algorithm depends on the answers of the above questions. And note that the fastest algorithms achieve lower compression ratio.

SuperUser said:
Give more details about your project
What kind of data do you want to compress (text, sound, images)? And do you want to be able to compress & decompress the data in the microcontroller or only to decompress it (the compression to be done in a PC)?
The choice of the optimal algorithm depends on the answers of the above questions. And note that the fastest algorithms achieve lower compression ratio.

I want to record sound on mmc ram , but I want to compress it to smaller size then write it to mmc .

Yes , I want to be able to compress & decompress the data in the microcontroller

thank you

The most suitable compression algorithm for you is IMA-ADPCM. It can be easily implemented in a small microcontroller. The IMA-ADPCM algorithm takes 16-bit samples and compress them down to four bits each, that is 4:1 compression ratio.
The compression is lossy and the reconstructed sound is not identical to the original. There are a lot of different audio and speech compression algorithms which achieve better compression and quality, but they require DSP or powerful microcontrollers.

isn't it easier just to buy bigger mmc? they are extreemly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.