Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Compact Flash Reference Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jack

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sd + avr + end of file

Hi!

I`m need Compact Flash Reference Design
- CF (CF+) with DSP/MPU/MCU, both
hardware and software design.

Could you help me please?

Hello Black Jack,

There are lot of designs with CF, … in the Web. Many people build an MP3 Player with a CF-Interface. Which kind of application do you want to develop?

Bye,
cube007

cube007 said:
Hello Black Jack,

There are lot of designs with CF, … in the Web. Many people build an MP3 Player with a CF-Interface. Which kind of application do you want to develop?

Bye,
cube007

We are planned to use CF with Blackfin DSP for
boot OS and/or data storage. I think that I need
True IDE MODE.

I find some good info in ADI WWW, but I`m need more.

Here you hace the following Specs

- CF
- ATA
- FAT32

goood luck

Progressive Resources LLC
FlashFile - SD/MMC and CompactFlash FAT12/16 File Systems for AVR
**broken link removed**

Hello,

Does anyone has a C code to implement FAT16 in a compact flash?

Many thanks

Bertrand

I wrote a fat16 file system for a mmc interfaced to a pic18. I have yet to arrange my code, and chances are that i won't. Anyway, the basic idea is to query the partition table to find out where the partition starts. Then extract BPB to find out FAT parameters to calculate the starting address of the FAT tables, the root directory and the data area. File creation/removal/editing would involve the updating of FAT entries and file/directory entries.

hi checkmate,
can u please upload ur code, i'd like to know how u did the updating of the FAt for appending a file , deleting one as acessing the FAt is easy, adding a new file may also be easy if tall the previous locs are filled, but if one delets in the middle the its a little "head scrachy", to add a file.

no matter if its not properly arranged....
thanks in advance
sam

I removed the file I uploaded previously as there were some bugs. My code is very crude as I'm only doing it for a school project and would probably not be improving it anyway.
If you have problems managing the FAT, then you would probably have misunderstood the entire FAT conecpt already! The FAT entries each represent a data cluster, starting from cluster 2. Cluster 0/1 are reserved. The value of each cluster represents the index of the next cluster where data is stored. So the FAT structure is essentially a linked list of clusters where data from a single file is stored. 0x0000 is reserved for empty clusters, while 0xFFF8-0xFFFF are reserved for end-of-file indicators. Finding the next empty cluster is simply traversing the FAT table from the beginning in search for the first entry with zero value, regardless of whether it's at the beginning, middle or at the end! Deleting a file is simply zeroing the entire linked list of FAT entries.
My method always fills data from the beginning, and probably wears out the FLASH faster, but what the heck! Of course, you may implement your own fanciful and probably faster algorithms!
Anyway, any FAT experts can tell me what makes a File/Directory entry valid to a Windows/WinCE OS? I've seen several File Entries entries that are not displayed by windows, although they seem valid. Besides the fact that they have strange filenames, they seem to have valid file parameters, and are neither flagged as hidden nor system files.

A MP3 player based on Compact Flash formated in FAT-16...

**broken link removed**

This is a good fat16/32 lib for Atmel Avr
But should be able to port to other cpus
Requires 15K Flash , nice Docs

**broken link removed**

If anyone uses the h**p://www.e-armazem.com.br/dev/fat16-32driver/

There have been some bugs (& workarounds) reported here.

**broken link removed**

Authors states they will fix it in a newer release

/Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back