Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advice, broken GPU part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zual

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm new here and i would like to say Hi to everybody.

So my graphic card is GTX 480, I took the integrated heat spreader off and accidently broke two parts, I have no clue what. Here is a pic (not mine) I don't have a good camera.Two of them that are in the circle.
**broken link removed**
Is it possible to fix ? :
-I lost the broken parts
- all I have is soldering paste,flux, soldering iron and oven.

A used graphic card like this one is 140$-170$ used or less then 250$ new, and i don't know how much fixing this one will cost
Thanks for reply

Heya Zual,

I would suspect the broken components are decoupling capacitors, used to ensure the integrity of the power supplies within the GPU. With care, you can certainly replace them with a regular soldering iron and wire solder. Since you're unable to measure the values of the (now missing) capacitors, my suggestion would be to replace them with parts with the following specifications:

Value: 10 nF - 100 nF
Voltage rating: >= 5 V
Size: Whatever fits! Perhaps 0402? (0201?)

They're far from expensive (the postage will cost you more!) - suppliers like Element14, Ebay etc have them in abundance.
Something like this: https://au.element14.com/kemet/c0402c104k8pactu/capacitor-0402-100nf-10v-x5r/dp/1288282RL

Just be SURE when you reassemble it all to ensure good thermal contact between the back of the flip-chip GPU slab of silicon and your cooler - or any joy you have of a successful repair will be short lived!
Good luck :)

Reactions: zual

zual

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for reply thylecine1975.
I thought only size matter now i see there are different values, and voltage rating, thanks. So using tiniest one capacitor from my old phone is not the best idea? Just buy a new one? Thanks for the link, I know where this shop is and I will go there tomorrow.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.