Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a very high speed Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndiJones

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to store video data in real-time that requires a data transfer rate of 200 MB/sec. Is there any Hard Disk that has this kind of speed?

Hi IndiJones,

An additional problem of such a high transfer rate is the filesystem on your
disk. If you have to manage file fragmentation you'll have no chance with
one single disk.
Is it possible for you to split the data streem and to store it on more than
one disk?

Bye

Only RAID controller can help you. RAID controller must be with PCI64/66 interface and with 10-15 SCSI disk.
Very interesting task. I was store data with data transfer rate of 30 MB/sec.

RAID.

Go for Adaptec RAID controller card. Use Seagate Cheetah 15K ULTRA 320 drives. Install only in PCI 64 bit slot. Single drives give sustained transfer rates up to 40 MB per Second. You have to have at least 6 drives, more are better.

Use external case for HDDs with Good power supply and cooling.

I make machines for RT video editing.

Hope this helps. Mail me for further requirements.

Regards.

- Asit

I would suggest looking at video compression boards instead of storing raw video data. The cost of such hardware is much lower than the utra high speed and capacity HDD that you are thinking of.

Re: RAID.

asit said:
Go for Adaptec RAID controller card. Use Seagate Cheetah 15K ULTRA 320 drives. Install only in PCI 64 bit slot. Single drives give sustained transfer rates up to 40 MB per Second. You have to have at least 6 drives, more are better.

Use external case for HDDs with Good power supply and cooling.

I make machines for RT video editing.

Hope this helps. Mail me for further requirements.

Regards.

- Asit

These HDs specify that the maximum transfer rate is 320 MB/sec. Shouldn't one HD be able to deal with that? Pardon my ignorances on this but I would appreciate it if you could explain how 6 HDs would help me achieve real-time aquisition.

Yeap, RAID 0 or 0/1 is what you need....

NeuralC

320 Mb/sec is maximum rate of SCSI-interface, Average rate of disk- ~30-40 Mb/sec. Therefore for 200Mb/sec you need 6*40Mb/sec=240Mb/sec
Some info about RAID-level
**broken link removed**
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

these is an teorical maximum rate but your pci isnt able to do that
wat is your device that do taht capture ????

you have to use an raid ultra 320 whit 4 or more disks seagate 15k scsi
and your controler have to be whit 64 bits and your motherboard, processor and memory have to suport it too
you can use a dual configuration or one configuration with kt400 chipset, and modules ddr400 and minimum 1Gbyte of ram.
sorry about my poor english

Could anyone please help me with a block diagram of the whole system starting from the camera, capture board, PCI bus, RAID, Hard Drive and Display! Thanks in advance!

Link.

Go to the Matrox web site at

https://www.matrox.com/video

Look into Digisuite Cards. They have a Digisuite DS, the uncompressed card. It uses mathematically lossless compression which lower down the Sustained data transfer rates without any loss in quality. They have some whitepapers and also system recommondations with A/V drives to look at.

Regards.

- Asit

Most of disk array with 12 HDD and 2Gbps Fibre channel interface have this performance. Chek websites of IBM, Mylex, JMR( probably they a cheaper on the market)

200 MB/sec !!! What video format is this?
You need huge size of HD for it.

Sun makes such fibre storage as well .
Guys regarding the RAID on PC - i suppose
that PCI bandwidth limitation can make trouble for such rate ??? This should be checked before decision is to be done .

64bit PCI@133MHz cards shoud have such performance. With 32 bit card such Qlogic2200 on the IBM Zpro 6866 computer real performance was about 600Mbps ( wich is more than twice needed in SD video editing)

nari said:
200 MB/sec !!! What video format is this?
You need huge size of HD for it.

This is very high-resolution video (3.2 MP) at 30 frames/sec. I need to do this for an experiment. The HD space doesn't matters much cause I'll record only 1-2 mins. of video. What matters is the speed.

Moss said:
64bit PCI@133MHz cards shoud have such performance. With 32 bit card such Qlogic2200 on the IBM Zpro 6866 computer real performance was about 600Mbps ( wich is more than twice needed in SD video editing)

Is it possible to get that speed using 64bit PCI @ 133 MHZ with Raid 0 or 0+1? What amount of RAM is required?

I don't have any experience with computer hardwares. It would nice if anyone could send me a block diagram of the whole process. For example:

camera --> capture card --> PCI/RAM/RAID/Graphics Card/HD/Display

I don't know how the block after capture card would interact with each other. Thanks in advance!

High Speed Video Capture

I work for a RAID Storage company. I develope hardware and software. For real time captue you will need a large RAID system. The cost is in the drives and the controllers. Check out the ebay for speacials. I work on the fiber 2G transfer controllers. I used Adobe Premer at home. I also tried Vegas Video. Sound cleaners are cool edit and sound forge. There are also waves 4 sound programs. Try there demos. Suggest you use your Video camera in monitor mode and capture to hard drive. I have 120 G bytes for my video.

Good Luck

I think that use SCSI disk array(ULTRA-320 INTERFACE), you'd better take DISK sustain transfer rate carefully,it may vary from inner track to outer in the disk,furthermore the disk controller may use good track media to replace bad track media.so video data Cache capacity should big enough to deal with it.
I suggest don't use file system format
like ext3,NTFS,FAT etc.this may greatly
reduce transfer rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back