Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

nedd help on RH Linux 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutapanaki

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I don't have any experience with Linux. I decided to get some and downloaded the RedHat Linux 7.3 which I need to install now. However there is a lot of stuff that I downloaded and I just want to know what to do with it. For example what I downloaded has 3 directories - docs, os/i386 and iso. But in the iso I have 2 subdirectories, again doc and i386. In the i386 subdirectory there are :

valhalla-i386-disc1.iso
valhalla-i386-disc2.iso
valhalla-i386-disc3.iso
valhalla-SRPMS-disc1.iso
valhalla-SRPMS-disc2.iso

and in the doc there is:

valhalla-docs.iso

Now, I suspect that if I extract these iso files I'll get the same things as in the docs and os/i386 directories on the top. I could check this, but you know, there are a lot of files there.
So, am I right for the iso content? Which files do I need for the installation and when I transfer these to a CD does it matter which go on the first CD and which on the second etc.? Can someone direct me to a good document dealing with the RH Linux installation?
Thanks in advance.

I'm very newbie to Linux and I have also downloaded these files and installed.

valhalla-i386-disc1.iso
valhalla-i386-disc2.iso
valhalla-i386-disc3.iso

Only those are neccesary to install it.
:)

Bigboss is right, use the image files to burn install CDs then install them. If you just install the default configuration for workstation install, you just need the first 2 CDs.

BigBoss said:
I'm very newbie to Linux and I have also downloaded these files and installed.

valhalla-i386-disc1.iso
valhalla-i386-disc2.iso
valhalla-i386-disc3.iso

Only those are neccesary to install it.
:)

RPM is setup/exe file in linux. most of installation packages for linux are in RPM format

When people have taken pain to put disk1, disk2....stuff :evil:

How come you are getting doubts like which goes to which CD....
:p

Dont worry about the other disks (4 and 5) They are SRPM's (source RPMS)
SRPMS contain the source code in RPM (RedHat package manager) format.

Just burn the three ISO CD's and boot off disk 1.

btw - 7.3 is very old, but then again maybe you are doing something specific with that release.

twinsen said:
btw - 7.3 is very old, but then again maybe you are doing something specific with that release.

7.3 is benchmarked by major EDA companies for their tools.

srpm = source rpm, the packages with the source code
Use md5sum soignatures to verify the ISO images before you burn them into cds.

besides the md5 you can try the boot option mediacheck, i had some iso with the right md5's but the packages were damaged :S ¿?

P.S: RPM = Red hat packet manager
SRPM = SOURCE Red hat....(not te binary, just the source and a .spec file to build a binary .rpm)

rpms are for red hat what .msi to microsoft....there are also other packet manager out there.....

bye...

valhalla-i386-disc1.iso
valhalla-i386-disc2.iso
valhalla-i386-disc3.iso

there three files is enough.

you can burn the three file to CD and. hange the CMOS setting to boot the PC from CD-ROM, and you can install it now.
or if you have windows in you pc, you can put the three file in the root directory of windows such as:c:\,d:\etc, using the WinISO to extract the files, and you can install it.

but redhat 9.0 is the newly ,and it can install from the internet

you can burn it to cd
or,you can mount it and copy file out to a dir,and set up a ftp server,use ftp install way

Status
Not open for further replies.