Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Neck length & neck width in PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamshravanthi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell me what is neck length and neck width in PCB design?

Neck length/width is the same as truncation. What this means is trace that has x width for some distance but has to be smaller to route inside something like a bga. While routing within bga, trace has to neck down or truncate to a smaller width to allow routing without violating rules or causing a short. The neck length would be the distance a trace is necked down or truncated.

Eda

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I am trying to measure a trace using the Cadence Allegro tool. When I click on the via - I get the Neck length/Neck Width/Line width info and when I click on the other end of the trace I get the total etch distance. Should the "neck" parameters be taken into consideration for calculating the trace length - if so, how?

And what is the difference between the Neck width and Line width?

V

Yes, neck parameters should be taken into account. Especially if you are trying to control timing. (you will want to know the entire trace length neck included)
Sounds like in this case the normal trace width is impedance controlled, the neck length is usually some minimum distance required to complete the circuit. (the necked down portion of net will no longer have the same impedance value as Line Width) This can be setup in your rules.

Eda

V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back