Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nature of roots of a cubic equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudockb

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have derived a transfer function containing 3 poles. All the coefficients are positive but from matlab analysis, there is one LHP real pole and a pair of RHP complex poles. Previously, I have a misconception that a cubic equation having all +ve coeff will yield all poles in the LHP. Could some mathematics experts provide some guidance here? Thanks!

pseudockb,
Consider two systems; both have real roots at -1.
One system has complex roots at -SQRT(3) +/-j.5
The other system has complex roots at +SQRT(3) +/-j.5.
Multiply the factors of both systems, i.e.,
(x+1)[x-(SQRT(3)/2 -j/2][x-(SQRT(3)/2 -j/2]
(x+1)[x+(SQRT(3)/2 -j/2][x+(SQRT(3)/2 -j/2]
You will find that both polynomials have all positive coefficients.
Regards,
Kral

Thanks, I see your point.

By the way, do you happen to know how to determine whether the complex poles reside in the LHP or RHP by looking at the relationship among the coefficients of the cubic equation?

pseudockb,
Go to the following website:
h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_equation
Scroll down to equation 4.
Let A = the value of u with the + sign under the radical.
Let B = the value of u with the - sign under the radical.
A, B are the principal cube roots.
It can be shown, e.g.,CF Burrington "Handbook of Mathematical Tables and Formulas", available at any decent library, that the solution for the real part of the root is
-(1/2)(A+B).
So if (A+B) is positive, the real part of the root is negative. If (A+B) is neagtive, then the real part of the root is positive.
Incidentally, the imaginary parts of the roots are given by +/-[(jSQRT(3)/2)](A-B)
This exercise may not be worth the effort, since by the time you calculate A, B, you almost have the complete solution! This is the best that I can do. Hope it helps.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back