Not open for further replies.

Noct1

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am in the very (very) beginning of my training in antennas and I have a naive question on antennas quality factor.
I always thought that quality factor Q was simply a quantification of the sharpness of the resonance peak. So, if two antennas have the same quality factor, their resonance peaks would have the same sharpness.
Yet, it appears that I was wrong.

Since the formula is Q = f/Δf, the sharpness is only defined by the bandwidth Δf. So if two antennas have their resonance frequency at 1 GHz and 2 GHz respectively, and the same resonance sharpness, then the 2 GHz antenna would have a 2 times the Q-factor of the 1 GHz antenna.

Am I right or do I miss something obvious ?

I am sorry for the naive question but I am pretty confused, because I know that researchers that use waveguides to estimate the complex permittivity of materials correlate the variation of the resonance frequency with the real part of the permittivity, and Q-factor variations with the dielectric losses. If Q variations contains frequency variations then it must be more difficult than I thought.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…