Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mystery of complementary topology in VCO design

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric0825

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all:

I am designing a VCO circuit using cross-coupled structure and a PN performance of -80dBc/Hz@10K offset is required. I encountered some problems that violate the theory i've studied from many papers.

As i know from my study, using complementary topology can get better PN performance due to its larger amplitude at the same bias current compared to PMOS-noly or NMOS-only topologies.

Unfortunately, when I use complementary topology, the PN is really bad no matter how hard i tried to optimize my design..(about -60dBc/Hz@10K), but while i use NMOS-only topology, i can get good PN easily(about -85dBc/Hz), this result really confused me....is there anything special that should be noticed while using complementary topology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back