Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Understanding of Computer Hardware Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
enter image description here

Forgive my above crude diagram.

Assume the above is the hardware architecture for a computer/mobile phone or any device which hold a microprocessor.

Please let me know whether my understanding is correct or Not. And please correct if I am wrong.
  1. The NOR Flash has the Boot Code. I understand boot code is the starting stage of any device which needs to function. So, the Boot Code instructs the SSD to start the operating system from a selected starting point given in the Boot code. So, this boot code is taken by the SSD and then transfers the entire operating system contents to the DDR4 RAM module for quick access by the CPU. NOR Flash is a non-volatile memory. And RAM is a volatile memory.
  2. SSD is where the Operating system is stored. I am not sure of what other details or information are stored within an SSD other than the operating system. Please let me know what are the other information that are stored in SSD.
  3. The CPU performs the calculations for any task. I have heard the Multi-core CPU terms like Quad Core and Octa-Core. But I am not sure on What does an Individual core block contain internally? I mean, what are the electronics or circuit blocks that are present inside each CPU Core block? Please help me with this. I have googled but was not able to find the answer.
  4. And suppose we download any document from the internet, does the document gets stored in the SSD or within the NAND Flash. I read that the NAND Flash chips are used in USBs and used for high volume content storage. So, my question is where does the downloaded content from the internet gets stored? Whether its inside NAND Flash or does it get stored in the SSD itself?
Please also let me know whether the directional arrows to each blocks in my above crude diagram are correct? And also let me know if I missed out any critical functions that each block will perform.

Your sytem rather looks like a PC hardware than a (small) microcintroller hardware.
--> do an internet search for "PC boot sequence"

Microcontroller is different.
A boot sequence deoends on periferals sn the processor architecture.
* do a search on "Van Neumann microcontroller boot sequence"
* do a search on "harvard microcontroller boot sequence"

Klaus

Your sytem rather looks like a PC hardware than a (small) microcintroller hardware.
--> do an internet search for "PC boot sequence"

Microcontroller is different.
A boot sequence deoends on periferals sn the processor architecture.
* do a search on "Van Neumann microcontroller boot sequence"
* do a search on "harvard microcontroller boot sequence"

Klaus
Thank you for the answer. Could you help me on what type of data's are stored in each component like NOR Flash, RAM, Nand Flash?

What internet search did you do? Go through some documents and for further questions please give links to them.
(Or do you expect us to do the internet seach?...and write the results here for you?)

Klaus

There are two common models for the microprocessor architecture. They decide mostly on the memory access protocol.

You may look up Harvard and von Neumann architectures. That will get you a starting point.

Once you have a clear idea and more specific query, you can ask your question.

Last edited:

Systems can be designed to boot from any memory source, RAM, Internal Flash, or SSD.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.