Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My strange experience of electric shock.This issue remains a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar474

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
a few minutes ago while I'm soldering a board I's shocked me. that voltage may be from the tip of the soldering gun.
and after that when I'm connecting the board to PC serial port again it shocked me.

In these two cases the shock is not little. It is very potential shock.

Immediately i verified the voltage from my AC power supply 250V ac (India)
and I also checked the ground. it is OK.

This issue remains a mystery.

I measured the voltage from serial port and ground. it is 190V AC.

I tested AC supply ---->250V AC
I tested Ground ------>OK

This situation occurred suddenly.
I'm working from few weeks at the same place and same power supply.
I'm confident that these type of power supply like USB port, serial port, soldering road tip don't shock when properly handled and properly connected to proper power supply with ground. but why this strange thing happens.

Last edited:

When you say 'ground is ok' what does that mean? If you've got 190V between your serial port and ground, something is very much NOT ok. Sounds like you've got a floating 'ground' somewhere.

Barry finely enlisted one of the possibilities, the shock while connecting board to PC serial port is simply an "Earthing" or "Grounding" issue. About the first shock, well it might be an effect of tip heat rather than shock unless your soldering iron is primitive !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back