Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My PC Stop Working, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrhgroup

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends
I encounter a strange event on my pc, my computer start to hang repeatedly and then when I wanted to force shutdown
it, it didnt turn off until I turn off the power of my pc, then when I turned on my pc, the monitor turned on
but there was nothing on it even the bios page was not shown and it remain in this mode and nothing happen, first I
thought that probably one of my hardware(RAM, VGA,...) had problem but I changed them, but it didtnt work.
Today one of my friend told me that his pc got the same problem exactly.(My hard is also fine, I connected it to another pc andit was ok)
Now I want to know is it a virus?
How can I fixed it?
Thanks

It is not likely to be a virus that is causing your problem. A virus is software, and needs to use the CPU to execute. From what you describe, you're not even getting the bios startup checks that are run from the motherboard firmware.

You could have a defective motherboard, a bad power supply, a blown CPU chip, a wiped or defective bios chip, etc.

I would start with the power supply. Either substitute a new power supply or measure the power supply voltages yourself. From there, the troubleshooting gets more difficult unless you have a spare CPU to substitute, and the proper test equipment to check out the motherboard.

could it be some kind BIOS virus?
Have your harddrive scanned on another good machine with some anti-virus software installed and see if there are some old-style BIOS virus still on your harddrive. Most likely those virus was triggered on Fridays and Wendesdays.

funnynypd said:
could it be some kind BIOS virus?
Have your harddrive scanned on another good machine with some anti-virus software installed and see if there are some old-style BIOS virus still on your harddrive. Most likely those virus was triggered on Fridays and Wendesdays.

BIOS viruses are very rare, and generally cause some message to be displayed on the screen when trying to boot. I don't recall seeing any that completely erased a BIOS - that is what would have to happen to give him the symptom he is seeing. If the BIOS is completely wiped out, the motherboard is no better than a boat anchor. He would have to get a BIOS chip burned with the proper firmware image by someone with an EEPROM programmer to restore the system to operation.

House_Cat said:
It is not likely to be a virus that is causing your problem. A virus is software, and needs to use the CPU to execute. From what you describe, you're not even getting the bios startup checks that are run from the motherboard firmware.

You could have a defective motherboard, a bad power supply, a blown CPU chip, a wiped or defective bios chip, etc.

I would start with the power supply. Either substitute a new power supply or measure the power supply voltages yourself. From there, the troubleshooting gets more difficult unless you have a spare CPU to substitute, and the proper test equipment to check out the motherboard.
i agree with your opinion, capasitors is the commonly defective component in PC power supply, replace the defective capacitor will fix your problem.
too much dust in your motherboard? try to clean up your motherboard (blow with hairdryer)

this problem cause mainly by hardware .Every knows . If ur pc hardware not properly safe from elecricity shocks then u face like these problems. U can use unintrupted power supply (Ups) for ur safety from shocks.This damage mostly psu and mb

Hi
The first time I encounter rhis problem I remove the backup battry and the put it in its place, then when I turned on the bios page was shown but after I restart there was nothing.
So you think that this is because of Power Supply?

try to switch on your computer without a harddisk. if your pc says "no boot device", your PSU is defective.

Hi
I do that but there was nothing, as before.

No beep.
I should emphasize that before that happened when I was working 2 or 3 times windows hanged and the last time when I restarted that happened.

please check any possible cap leakage on the motherboard and replace the battery if possible.

is your processor fan moving? power led ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back