Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Music Adapter - Diagram included, but How ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyMan

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I'm trying to make the music adapter for for our phone system.
It allows a 3.5mm device to be plugged into a RJ45 connector.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
This URL shows the diagram, but I'm unsure how to proceed.

Any advice ?

Many Thanks
J

Hi
I know this is basic but...

Do I join wires 2 and 3 & 4 and 5 ?
Then use those '2' wires with 1 ??

Thanks

When a plug is not inserted then pins 2-3 and 4-7 are shorted, when you insert the plug then you use pins 1,2,5.
2-3 and 4-7 are not bridged when the plug in inserted.
This bridge 2-3 and 4-7 is usually used to feed the signal in a device like a speaker when there is no headphone plugged and when you use the headphone the bridged pins disconnect and the sound doesn't reach pins 3 and 4.

You don't need to join anything.

Alex

Cheers

So coming from the RJ45
Pin1 to shield,
Pins 2 & 5 to the mono plug.

?? sorry all new to me !

When the plug is inserted :

Shield connects to pin 1
Channel B to pin 2
Channel A to pin 5

Alex

Hi
First thanks for taking the time to help me sort this.

I'm trying to connect an MP3 player (3.5mm socket) to an extension on a phone system (RJ45)

The extension can be configured to support Music on hold, I just need a cable that is 3.5mm plug to RJ45 plug and what wires connect to what !!

I have just tried an old headphone cable, 3.5mm plug - shield to pin 1, left channel to 2.
This didn't work !!

Any ideas ?
Thanks

I'm afraid I can help much because I haven't done anything similar.

The male plug connection seems to be ok but I don't know where you should connect the pins of the RJ45 side

The phone line is normally the red and green wires. Additional lines/features go on the black and yellow wires.

You speak of connecting the mp3 player directly to a RJ45 connector. Do the instructions say anything about 60 volts being on a phone line when not in use? Do they say whether an inline capacitor is necessary and sufficient to protect your equipment? With no capacitor your mp3 player will be okay as long as your phone is off the hook. However when you hang up, 60 volts will suddenly go to your mp3 player. You should test with a voltmeter as to all situations.

That's how I've understood it since 30 years ago. It may or may not apply to you, depending on local phone company setup, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.