Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiplexer when used as Demux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmykk

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
Just wondering if a Mux like ADG708 can act as a Demux without any severe effects.
I have a single input which i want to distribute among different outputs one at a time but just thinking to use this available MUX to do the job.

Should be able to, odd the datasheet does not mention this. It s not a buffered
mux (which would make it unidirectional).

Here is a single chip example of a distributed WaveDAC used as a FSK sine generator to
1/16 outputs. Using a "mux". Note mux could have been HW controlled onchip by other onchip
peripherals, like a counter, if needed. Here its SW controlled example. Still lots of other onchip
resources available for use, see right hand window. Note mux shown as 16 channel, package
and onchip route channels determine width, I am sure 32 channels would have routed. Also
could have been differential demux, user choice.

1593772523132.png

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• 1593771894475.png
    1593771894475.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

apologies to danadakk
page 10 of the ADG708-709 data sheet, in the pin function descriptions states the "inputs" (S1-S8 etc)
can be an input or an output, and the "output" (D etc) can be an input or an output.

apologies to danadakk
page 10 of the ADG708-709 data sheet, in the pin function descriptions states the "inputs" (S1-S8 etc)
can be an input or an output, and the "output" (D etc) can be an input or an output.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Regards, Dana.

Generally yes, but there are sometimes electrical
differences (like, on one analog mux I designed,
over-the-rail hi-Z HV ESD protection on the "S"
inputs which were expected to go to wire-harness
inputs, but only rail-diodes on the "D" output. So
while you could party-line and cold-spare the
"S" inputs, you could not do that to parallel "D"
outputs without cross-feeding supplies through
those diodes.

Status