Status
Not open for further replies.

ashish.mw

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ques: If there are 'n' independent random variables i.e. X1, X2,......,Xn; each having zero mean and variance=1. If their sum is defined as Sn=X1+X2+X3+......+Xn. Then, answer the following:

(a) Find and comment on the mean and variance of (Sn/n) as n -> ∞.
(b) Find and comment on the mean and variance of (Sn/√n) as n -> ∞.

Please give the detailed explanation for the answer and also suggest some good study material on the random variables and processes.

Thanks in advance.

It's been a while since I studied probability, but I do remember a few things about the mean of sum of independent random variables.

For a sum of independent random variables, the resultant mean is simply a sum of the individual mean values. Since all values are zero in our case, I would say that the mean of Sn/n and of
Sn/√n will be zero.

The variance of the sum is also a sum of the individual variances. For Sn/n, the variance is easy enough to figure out: since each variance equals 1, we can write the numerator term as n*1 because we would be adding 1 'n' times; when this is divided by n, the answers equals 1. Hence the variance of Sn/n will be equal to 1.

For the case of Sn/√n, you will need to simply calculate the following: \[\lim_{n \to \infty}\]\[\frac{n*1}{sqrt{n}\]

The inner expression will reduce to sqrt. And applying limits to that will give us the answer \[\infty\].

I hope I'm right.

Helpful source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sum_of_normally_distributed_random_variables

Thanks for help.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…