Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple clock domain sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

vintujose

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I am a new bee
I need to how is the sync between two clock domains is done .
How can i design it using VHDL without using the Async FIFO .

if anybody has a generic code please pass on to me
with regards
kewl

PLease use search in this forum, that topic had been addressed few times

Hi,

Maybe you already got the answer, but anyway :

To sync a signal coming from another clock domain you can use a double FF synchronizer, for example :

Code:
process(clk, rst)
begin

if rst = '0' then
    in_sig = '0';

elsif rising_edge(clk) then
    tmp <= in_sig;
    in_sig_s <= tmp;
  end if;

end process;

where in_sig is the input signal to be synchronized and in_sig_s is the signal synchronized to clock domain clk

hope it helps !
yours,
Said

vintujose

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi shnain, your solution is ok, but my case is a bit different,can you solve it?....Like my design(FPGA) communicates with a CODEC which has a clk of 2MHz,but however the codec is a master here...You can't make any handshaking to that.Because it's clk is not controllable.....Is there any solution to sync this clk?....and sample the data with my synchronized FPGA clk?...

Clock domain synchronization is not a simple solution, because of the metastability problems. This problem is quite large and you should investigate a little on Internet to understand what it is. However, there is two solutions :

1 - for a single signal use 2 cascaded flip-flops, synchronized with the destination clock.

2 - for a dataflow, use a FIFO with two clock domains (the FIFO integrates the necessary logic to manage properly the clock domain crossing problems).

Good luck

robinh said:
2 - for a dataflow, use a FIFO with two clock domains (the FIFO integrates the necessary logic to manage properly the clock domain crossing problems).
Do you mean, implementing Asynchronous FIFO?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back