rebelay

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Glad to be here.

I'm getting started to learn electronics. Could anyone suggest a good multimeter that would last me a while before I need a seriously advanced one for a good price?

where are you?

I suspect the more global brands might be more expensive then you like at this stage

a digital meter is more 'accurate' but an analog [the old type with a needle that swings] can be more useful if the voltage/current is changing

Fluke 115 also a good model with some advance features compare then Fluke 15B.

I have one of those expensive Fluke multimeters, but I find for most of my work, a cheap $5 digital multimeter from Harbor Freight works just fine. There are times when the Fluke is better, for its auto-ranging and better accuracy. But since you say you are "just starting", I suggest getting $5 cheapie and wait until you hit one of its limitations. By then you will know what specifications are important to you and then you can buy a more expensive meter. But you will be surprised how much you can do with any old $5 digital.

You should buy a cheap digital multimeter. Otherwise, what do you learn in electronics (microcontrollers, mobile phone troubleshooting, telecommunications) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.